I don't know if I'll be able to explain this clearly but... I'm looking for one of those old lamp/decoration things - very 70's (?), about 30-40cm tall, got colored blobs (?) moving up and down (looks like goo). Terrible description, cant do better at the mo - anyone know what I'm going on about. And their name? And where I might get one?

seriously, wow, blob lamp thingy? HAHAHA thats just hilarious, they're still all over the place in the states, I guess thats why this is so funny to me. Look on the internet man, get one alot cheaper than anywhere in Japan...

You can find cheaper ones at stores such as Don Quixote and some of those little shops that sell batik, Indian sarongs, incense, pot pipes and tin jewelery.

They get HOT by the way.

I think it's real lava in there.

eek.gif

Various experiments with lava lamps in my student days led me to conclude that they are highly susceptible to damage by bong emissions, causing the wax 'lava' to become unresponsive. This seems all the stranger as they are usually found in shops that sell bongs.

I think that the blob lamp is a cheap and unimaginative icon of the typical male who knows piss all about interior decoration yet wants to appear as though they are with it.

I bought my old man and his wife a blob lava lamp a few years ago. I suggested that they put in on their very tasteless mini bar in their equally tastless home. The classless peasants actually really liked it!! Buying for the common man is so easy.

If I didn't manage to insult you in this post them please let me know as I can easily re-word to include you. No need to feel left out.

• 5 months later...

Hey they are stocking small blob lamps in our nearby home center. I got an orange one, it looks well cool. I don't think I'm with it though. It's just relaxing.

It might be called a lamp but it sure doesn't light much up.

34, do you love your parents really? ;\)