Interesting news for docomo subscribers

Was talking to a lady who works for docomo and she was saying that next year (late) the current 2G network that most docomo subscribers use will become redundant with a the 3G FOMA network being the only option. The current range of 2G "Mova" phones - the 506 series will be the last, there will be no 507 series.

So if you are looking to upgrade, go Foma now, its almost the same price as the current 2G and will save you trouble next year upgrading.

I can see the logic - docomo has 2 networks, it will save them a lot of trouble and money to run the one network.

I like docomo because they have the best coverage in Japan by far and they treat me well because I am on a family plan and pay low rates, my phones base rate is 2200 a month, usually pans out to 2500 3000yen often less as we get many loyalty discounts and ( I seldom call, just email and use imode web sites). FOMA will only raise my base rate 300 yen a month. Hopefully prices will continue to fall as more join ( 5 million now have FOMA I read somewhere up form 300,000 in May last year)Docomo spent about 800billion yen on the Foma network in 2003 probably the same last year, it doesnt take much to figure out where they are heading.

We checked out Au because our friends rate them highly but we left the Au shop disappointed. Au has great deals for high users (20000 a month plus) much better than docomo, but for low users and family plans they couldnt match the deal we already had at docomo. So we stayed status quo.

If anything before I go back home for good I will change to Vodafone because the international compatibility and flexibilty of their phones I will be able to use the phone in NZ ( that and telecom NZ are the biggest pack of thieving mongrels on earth, god I hate Telecom NZ)

I could imagine how docomo could be expensive for individuals.

I checked out FOMA, they have some sweet handsets and you can get emails of 10000 characters. and view documents such MS files and pdf files.

Maybe AU was exy because you were comparing your current plan ( which I presume you have been on for a little while). From what I remember AU is cheaper than docomo if you are looking at starting from scratch. I have tried Docomo, AU, Tuka & Ido ( does anyone remember them?) Ido had the best nationwide coverage which i why I swapped to them because I am always at the beach and where I go Docomo doesn't have very good coverage. Ido became AU. Its a personal pref of course but most people I know with Docomo seem to always complain about service dropping out, email lists being sold off etc etc.

I recommend Au too. Actually I was with AU then changed to Vodafone. What a waste of money Vodafone is. I find the reception/service very poor.

I am also on a family plan but the savings outways the service, it isn't worth it. In the near future I am looking to go back to AU.

Any other people on here using Vodafone find the same problems? ( Bad reception/service)

I have docomo strictly because it does have the best reception in Japan - My mates vodafone will have only 1 bar where I still have 3. Reception to me is more important than the looks or picture quality - which is where docomo lags behind.

Didnt know about docomo going only to FOMA from next year. I wonder if they are mentioning that fact to prospective customers before they buy phones - I was in last week looking (my phone is broken ate the base where it folds) and that was never mentioned confused.gif But, the current reception on the FOMAs is crap which is why I dont want a FOMA yet - not until the newer model comes out at least with improvements.

What's FOMA?

Unfortunately I have had Docomo for a number of years and don't want to give up the phone number (I depend on the phone for calls for work) or else I'd be quite happy to toss Docomo away. I don't do any email on the phone, my computer is more than enough for that.

Sunrise, those phones allow you to see the person youre talking too like on video conferencing. Dont have one and couldnt give a #$%# either - its going to be another thing that will keep Japanese from looking where they should be while they drive, walk, or ride bikes.

You can always find a sweet deal with any of these providers, it just depends on what kind of machine and usage you will need.

As for FOMA, yeah, it ain't working so great right now. But I was able to use mine in Europe and it works in America too. That was nice. One number, any country. Haven't got the bill yet of course.

Mobile phone rates and service in the US are a circus of bait-and-switch, hidden charges and huge bills. It's tough to complain about the Japan mobile phone experience after spending 2 years in the US and seeing how it could be. We're lucky over here.

I notice we hardly use our phones at all when in Okayama, they seem to be a big city crutch more than anything else.

Thanks for explaining Yuki. Here's another stupid question - how can you see the person you're talking to if you're holding the thing up to your ear. Obviously you must use some kind of headset or earphone attachment? I'm living in a bubble, being J-illiterate and not intersted in keitai internet I didn't realise these things were available. Not that it seems like I've missed much (at this point anyway).

I chose Vodafone because of the range of bilingual phones and the English support they provided. I looked at the others but they didnt have the range or support that I felt comfortable with.

.......If anything before I go back home for good I will change to Vodafone because the international compatibility and flexibilty of their phones I will be able to use the phone in NZ...........

Yeah I dunno about that SnowG. At the moment I dont think you can do that (at least not with mine) as most of the Japanese Vodafone phones dont have sim cards, with the exception of one or two (the V66 and the 801SH are two that come to mind).

If you want more info check this from the Vodafone Japan website

Vodafone Global Standard

Q1: (12) If I am a Vodafone Global Standard user, is it possible to convert my contract with Vodafone into a contract with the local Vodafone when I go back to my home country?

A1: No, it is not. You will need to make a contract with the local Vodafone of your country.

Q2: (13) Can I use my SIM card that I have been using overseas with a Vodafone VGS handset in Japan?

A2: No, you cannot use your GSM SIM card in Japan with VGS handsets available in the market.

Q3: (14) Is it possible to use a USIM card with a GSM phone I have been using overseas?

A3: We can not guarantee that combination would work, since we have not confirmed the compatibility of USIM with handsets purchased overseas.

Q4: (15) Can we send SMS?

A4: If you have a Vodafone Global Standard handset, you can use a SMS to a Vodafone UK and Vodafone. Other terminals (2G) can not communicate with terminals other than Vodafone Global Standard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
Didnt know about docomo going only to FOMA from next year. I wonder if they are mentioning that fact to prospective customers before they buy phones But, the current reception on the FOMAs is crap which is why I dont want a FOMA yet - not until the newer model comes out at least with improvements.
Good point, its not official, they arent mentioning it yet, you wont find it on any news bulletin, she told me some inside juice, but its going to happen supposedly late next year or 2006. It was like "I am not supposed to tell but" story because I was asking her opinion on phones.
But you heard it here first, unless they have a sudden change of heart and decide not to scrap it after all which is why the plan is not public yet.
But she seemed pretty sure of the fact.
Docomo spent 800 billion yen on the FOMA system upgrading the network etc in 2003 its says it covers 99% of the population. I suppose once the big changeover occurs the will convert some of the old towers to FOMA towers to get the comprehensive coverage back.
FOMA went from 300 000 subscribers in May 2003 to 5 000 000 in Setember this year, seems the Lemming rush is picking up pace.
Also Yuki - docomo is really pcking up their act with the quality of their handsets, the latest range ones I have seen are as good as any of the competition I have seen in terms of style and picture quality -but have no idea about reception you may well be right - could be crappy.
Im gonna hang ona little while longer nevertheless.

Sunrise FOMA = Freedom of Mobile multimedia Access. Its 3rd generation technology.
its does all the what current phones do and much more. it does have video phone but people seldom use it as its so expensive.
check out the website if you wanna know all the features.

yeah Maori boy I noticed that myself with Voda upon further investigation

sunrise, for the FOMA video phones to work both parties must, at least for the time being, use the docomo FOMA phones. My friend has it and she explained that there are two modes. One where you use it like a regular phone and the other where its like a camera. In camera mode you just look at the screen like youre typing an email and talk to your friend normally.

SG, newer phones have been pretty nice - I have a 504 model so its a few generations behind and picture quality isnt very good. Didnt really care about that but since mine is broken need to get a new phone soon. Cheers!

• 6 months later...

I was off on my original post - its by the end of 2012. got 6 and 1/2 more years, but no new handsets are being released.

wanna know more - just google "docomo 2012"

• 2 weeks later...