Job hunting...how can they pay so little?

Standard HR calculation is 8 hour day, 200 working days per year.

At 800 yen per hour, your annual salary is 1,280,000. After 24% deduction for income, residence and health taxes, you take home 972,800 per year.

That's 18,700 yen per week. Can you live on that? Rent, food, transportation, clothing, heat, water, gas, medical?

Get real. These are wages for people who are subsidized by another wage-earner...i.e., living at home with Mom. No future, no savings, no retirement fund, nothing...just a chance to take a hit somewhere else in order to serve the giant wheel of commerce.

These are not real jobs in the sense that you can't make a living off them. They are like those jobs in old company towns where the company dormitory and mess hall took away more than you earned each week.

The great glittering wheel of commerce has found a way not only to take up your day's worth of energy, but also to drain off the labor and income of others in your group, such as by requiring a housing, food and clothing subsidy from your Mom, just so you can show up at this 800 yen-per-hour McJob.

Maybe this kind of job is OK for a high-school student, the way a paper route is appropriate for a 10-year-old boy. But is this really a viable option for 25 or 35-year-old adults? Maybe they have no other option.

It's just me, but frankly speaking, I'd rather live in a tent in Yoyogi Park or open a tiny B&B in Alaska than work my life away full-time for 800 yen per hour in a flourescent-lit shrine to hormone-fed beef or plastic gewgaws. I don't have any Mom's Place to sponge off of, and I'll be damned if I'll drain myself dry and hide from my loved ones in a clown suit all day so a fast food franchise or a clothing store can rack up more profits. A pointless life.

confused.gif