Okay, this one's for all you plumbers out there....

Some friends in Oz are going to be redoing their bathroom and were quite taken with the famed Japanese Toto Washlet (bidet seat) on a recent trip here and have asked me what's the feasibility of getting hold of one. It seems they don't have those things in Oz, or at least they're as scarce as hens' teeth. It's just the seat cover and some parts, not the whole toilet. Does anyone have any clues to help point me in the right direction to find out more? Anyone rennovated and recently purchased one? I think the most well known brand is the Toto Washlet. It's easily seen on Toto's J and E sites, (but they dont have an Oz office), but no fixed prices. What kind of prices is one looking for? They just want the bidet part, they don't care about remote control (!!!) or heated seat... Anyone?

The cheap ones are available for around 15,000 for a heated toilet seat and bidet nozzle.

For a little extra you can get a butt blow dryer on them too. (Not reccomended cause the stench comes right up between the thighs on the torso highway to the nose eek.gif ) This cost about 26,000.

They all come with the goodies in them so you don't have to buy extra parts. You remove the primative toilet seat, bolt the new baby in, plug her in, attach the hose to the nuckle on the floor pipe feeding water to the cistern and before you know it you got a clean arse!

The expensive ones seem to only either have stainless steel butt jet pipes or fancy gadgets that you probably don't need. There does not seem to be any difference in pressure according to the guys in the shops.

I think all have heated toilet seats so any cheap one should do the trick.

You might have a problem with power voltage in Aus as I think it is like NZ and you need a step down transfomer. Check the Hz on the toilet seat and buy the comparitive one here with it. Should be anywhere between 3-10,000yen depending on the Hz rating.

The other issues you might have is the nuckle attachment diamater and the appropriate pipe size being available in Aus and the distance between the bolt fixtures for the toilet seats.

Happy hot butt wave.gif

You should listen to Mogs...he knows his dumps and all the gear!

Might also be worth Googling around a bit on the Net. I did this in Michigan about a year ago for just the reasons you describe, and found several options for washlets sold in the US at various prices, including a Korean one, one by National, and some Toto products that had been imported. All included English instruction manuals.

Another place to look is at the shop all the Japanese people shop at when they live in Oz. There was a shop like this in my town due to the high number of auto industry Japanese expats, and they had the washlets for the US market. Mind you, the US voltage is 110 and 60 Hertz, so it's not much different from Japan and few if any modifications would have been required.

Happy excreting!

\:D

I was looking for a picture of a cheaper alternative - the Roman wet sponge on a stick. I figured that if you dipped it in your tea (everybody takes a cup of tea into the toilet, right?) before you wiped, it would be similar to the washlet effect.

I couldn't find any pictures, but I did find this;

"Smelly Roman toilets at the Dewa Roman Experience in Chester have been making visiting schoolchildren sick.

The museum has a Roman toilet in one of its displays. After all, Romans had to use the loo too.

The fun started when museum staff found a new smell called 'Flatulence'.It sounded perfect for the Roman toilets. So the new smell was ordered from the smell company (strange but true).

Staff at the museum said 'We didn't realise how overpowering and sickly it actually was.'

The pong was just too strong. On the first morning four children threw up. After clearing up the sick, the museum staff ditched the smell.

The smell company then diluted it by half. This time only two children were actually sick. Luckily it's not as whiffy now, and nobody has been sick since.

Don't let it put you off visiting. Stinky museums are fantastic! There's loads to see and explore at the Dewa."

Flatulence and vomit. An unbeatable combination.

Mogs, you really got da lowdown there. Thankx. I don't think they care about a butt drier, heh heh heh great graphic description. The need of a transformer is also something to keep in mind.

badM I did do a bit of googling but couldnt' find much more than already mentioned, which would still involved importing from somewhere else (the States, somewhere in Asia, Europe.) Still, it's always nice to have an English manual. In the many years ago that I lived in Sydney there was a Japanese shop I think in Neutral Bay that sold lots of stuff to J people living locally. Might be worth a check out for my friends. Thanks for the tip.

Ocean - these people seem set on getting something made in Japan, so the Roman alternative won't do. They might also be concerned that their bathroom keeps filling up with schoolkids and bad smells, however I will mention it to them just in case they're more open minded than I thought.

My lowdown comes from my recent research, purchase and installation of a washlet in my apartment.

Would be happy to provide free installation and demostration provided my return business class travel airfare was paid for and a BBQ of huge arse steaks and lobster was prepared for my arrival. \:D

Quote:
My lowdown comes from my recent research, purchase and installation of a washlet in my apartment.
Mogs, you never told me this! I am heading over to Kams immediately to express the fruit of my bowels at your place, then enjoy the relaxing cleanup courtesy of your new washlet!

I hope the water warmer is functioning properly.

Mogs I'll let them know of your kindness to volunteer to install it for them.

So, does it heat the water, since it obviously doesn't connect to the hot and cold water taps of the bathroom sink like some seem to?

I should probably pop over with BadMigs for a trial. I'll try and save something up for it.

Visit welcome only with cases of fine micorbrewery beer in hand!

Yes sunrise it does heat it's own water in a little tank on the side of the seat. It even has a eco freindly setting that heats only the water in the tank and not along the pipe to the nozzle. I do not reccomend this on a cold day as that first squirt of cold water really does effect ones mental state for some time. Although the feeling of relief as the water gradually gets warmer is godsent!

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
Visit welcome only with cases of fine micorbrewery beer in hand!
Well, that goes without saying, however where does one get these multi cases of fine microberwery beer from?

Heating it's own water sounds good, with or without that first squirt. So what brand/model did you get?

Maybe the suggestion here is that the microbrewed beer goes into the tank and cleanses the buttocks with a thousand tiny bubbles.

I'd recommend a lager or pils. The higher sugar content of the dark beers could lead to yeast infections and maybe piles.

Brand magicians will soon bring out the Guinness Washlet (UK), the DB Butt Blaster Washlet (NZ) and the Buttweiser Butt Wiper Washlet (US). These fine branded goods to go along with the clocks, bottle openers, ashtrays and t-shirts.

Mogs, based on his recent work at a hotel in Dubai, can select the Washlet Girls to model these things. In evaluating them, for once, he'll have to consider something other than breast size.

Some people I know back home seem to love spending ages on the toilet. I could never get that. I mean, I usually want to minimise the time. Some people take in newspapers and books eek.gif Communal ones even!!! No thank you!

• 5 months later...