Talking alcohol here. I just read DBs lovely post in the alcoholism thread and wondering how much others drink compared to me. I don't drink much recently, at least thats how I see it.

Probably 3 times a week, once or twice is just a few cans, maybe one bigger night out that will see maybe 5 go down. Not much is it. And I don't mix the drinks either - I am cured of that after a nasty experience with overmixing... I just couldn't fact it now.

Never drank much in Hiroshima but it seems like my coworkers up here in Kobe drink like fish. Ive been drinking more than I like and enjoy here but have finally learned how to deal with peer pressure, I just pretend its not really me whos drinking this much but my alternate self... You see there are two YPs: theres the Day YP and then theres the Night YP.... ;\)

Half a bottle of wine, 1/3 of a bottle of sake, 2 big glasses of shochu or 2 tinnies of beer everyday with 1 day off a week. Consumed with dinner.

Visit to my local for a couple of drinks and a stogie on Fri or Sat. This always gives me a hangover the next day, and I'm coming to think that it's not worth it.

From the age of 15 to 24, not a single day went by when I didn't drink - literally, with no exceptions, even when I was ill. I used to do my homework in a state of serious intoxication - works wonders for developing the powers of concentration.

Drinking while you are eating is supposed to be the worst way of putting on weight.. But I do it.

I used to be a weekend binge drinker but after moving here and living with the "outlaws" for a while and being fed piss ever night I developed a need for a few after work. I had to change from beer to sho-chu otherwise i would be much bigger than i am now!

These days I limit drinking to weekends only as I don't really need to drink in the week and with "fight" season around the corner, It's something I can do without!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Drinking while you are eating is supposed to be the worst way of putting on weight..
Really? I'm on the under-weight side, so what is the best way to put on weight then?

Ocean, from age 15-24 everyday? I can't tell if your are kidding or not but what is the legal drinking age in the UK? There is no way I could have gotten my hands on some booze with such consistancy until I turned 21. eek.gif

Not kidding. English law allows parents to give their children booze, and I started drinking mildly alcoholic cider when I was 10 or so. From about 15, my parents started drinking wine every dinnertime, and there was enough for me to get pretty plastered if I felt like it. Which I did. If my parents had had enough, I would take a bottle to finish off while I did my homework. Drinking Italian red helped me to imagine I could understand Tacitus in the original, even if my Latin teacher begged to differ.

I was also drinking in pubs regularly at 15 and got pretty intensely pissed off on the 2 or 3 occasions that I was refused service.

(So when I read about Bush's thirsty daughters having to get counseling a few years ago for their 'problem', I found it all rather amusing.)

You drink that much Ocean? I hope it's all environmentally friendly versions of everything... ;\)

I mainly just drink at the weekends and when I'm out now.. almost never when I'm on my own.

Australia must be similar to the UK. everybody I went to school with was drinking by about 14 or 15 or so, I started a just before this. I started drinking because I was going the 'blue light disco'......any other aussies remember these ? ? ? ? Now I will drink at least 3-4 beers everyday, and usually a few vodka's as well - I kind of like my vodka strong, so the bottle doesn't really last that long \:\( . I also have a few bottles of wine a week (a few more if I go out for dinner).

Ocean, have you tried the French organic wine that's about (at least it's about in Tokyo) ? A friend of mine is the importer of this stuff, he is always at another friends pad so we have had the opportunity to sample quite a lot - last time he was at my friends place he left about 60 cases of wine........ clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

My wife and I were drinking every night over summer, mostly beer and bourbon but the beer has been getting too expencive and my guts bigger so we now have mon,tues and thurs nights alcohol free nights but still get nutted on drinking nights. I have found that having AFD (alcohol free days) has just turned me into more of a binge drinker on the nights that I can.

stripper, French organic wine not seen. I wouldn't be buying imported wine anyway anymore.

Telleboy, the overdrinking on the days off was a problem for me when I tried an every other day regimen. I just drank twice as much on the drinking days...

I do. I understand your shock.

I'm a bit freaked out at the moment about the state of the world, and I'm on a jihad to eat and live as locally as possible. This is not without its trials. One of which is eschewing imported luxuries of which wine must count as one.

But I have to say, having quaffed 3 bottles of organic red wine from Yamanashi, I've got passed the 'grape juice' shock and can drink it enjoyably. I hope that by drinking it, I'm promoting a future where it gets better than it is now. And let's face it, a lot of the wine that's imported is like acrid old underpants too.

Today I cracked open my first jar of homemade umeshu. It's good!

Nice one Ocean, good luck with getting 'local', it's a good idea.

But, with ideas like this, also comes exceptions, and in my book, wine would be the perfect example lol.gif Sure, a lot of the imported wine can also taste like acrid old underpants, but, at least some of the imported wine is fantastic.

I understand where you are coming from though. I might even adopt your policies when I return home, particulaly considering the Hunter Valley (Aust) could offically be called 'local' for me then.... \:\)

P.S. What's umeshu ? ? ? ?

I ate my first loaf of homemade/self made bread tonight. It was good too.......

Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:
[QB] Nice one Ocean, good luck with getting 'local', it's a good idea.

But, with ideas like this, also comes exceptions, and in my book, wine would be the perfect example lol.gif Sure, a lot of the imported wine can also taste like acrid old underpants, but, at least some of the imported wine is fantastic.

I understand where you are coming from though. I might even adopt your policies when I return home, particulaly considering the Hunter Valley (Aust) could offically be called 'local' for me then.... \:\)
:) I love getting local! Since i live pretty much 5 mins from Hardys and on the door step of Maclaren Vale and in reach of the Barossa ( not to mention the coopers brewery! :p )

Like you said in an earlier post about drinking young in Oz, Yep us too. I was starting out at 13 ( small amounts) but those blue lights or underage gigs!!! get legless before you go in.. Don't remember them too well lol.gif Most people at my school were getting stuck in to the piss around 15 at least.. good times clap.gif

A lot of the Australian wine is truly excellent, no doubt about that. Even the cheap stuff.

Umeshu is sour green plums in preserving alcohol. In the summer, you just wash your plums, and put them in jars with a load of sugar. Then you leave them to sit in a cupboard until about now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
[QB] A lot of the Australian wine is truly excellent, no doubt about that. Even the cheap stuff.
Yes, it is nice. Good wines can be bought for around $7-8 a bottle (maybe about $10 now???) I found out that I could get hammered on ben ean?? moselle for $2 as opposed to $13-15 for a hippy of bourbon..

What do you mix your umeshu with O11? or do you just drink it straight? I find it way too sweet \:\(

I drink it on ice, but I don't put nearly as much sugar in as the recipes call for so it's quite tart. That's the beauty of making it yourself.

I find it's one of the best things for a winter hip-flask