I never said I was above the law, or that I never break the law. I think I said EVERYONE breaks the law. Those who knowingly do so should be prepared to accept the price if they get caught. When it comes to protecting my loved ones, or exacting my own revenge if I thought the the punishment the law dished out wasn't enough, I would have no qualms with "breaking" the law and then accepting the consequences.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then if the kidnappers family decided to take revenge on you after you served your sentence?

To a large degree we should obey the law simply because it is the law, this is the basis of social order.

But this is completely undermined if large sections of society find certain laws ridiculous (or lacking in severity). If people have a lack of respect for a particular law it is more difficult to respect any law because you lose trust in law-makers and enforcers.

For example if you live in a country with a lot of laws that seem wholly unnecessary or over-the-top you loose respect for all laws in that country and are more encouraged to disregard them and use your own judgement.

So if there are laws you don`t agree with you should kick up as much fuss as you can. It`s an important part of democracy.

Thunderpants is not a hero for breaking the law, he knew the consequences. He is however a bit of a star for reminding us of the consequences and of the fact that there are still many social injustices worth fighting for and changing.

Quote:
If people have a lack of respect for a particular law
In this particular case, I am quite sure that most people in Japan would not feel that a change in any drug laws is wanted and there are so many more important things.

I don`t know too much about the specifics of the japanese legal system or how representative of people living on japan this forum is. But i was under the impression that a major complaint being raised is the way in which people arrested are treated. How they are looked after, what rights they have etc. Thunderpants`s ordeal sounds horrific. And that is BEFORE he was tried. That`s not a problem with just this particular law. It is highlighted by it.

Campaigning for change is a necessary and important. Of course there are more important things but there are many important things that many people can`t do or don`t have the time to do. It doesn`t mean that you shouldn`t have respect for someone else doing them.

Fair enough. In my own personal opinion i wouldn`t sign petitions or help in campaigns etc. on the drug issue either as i don`t feel i`ve lived here enough to do so and think it should be illegal (although i don`t agree with the way suspects are treated). But i have more respect for someone who feels there is an injustice and tries to do something about it than for people who just accept things how they are. That`s not a personal attack, i am cetainly more inclined to do the latter myself, it`s just why i admire and have respect for people who stand up to things they don`t agree with. Even though i might not agree with the actual thing they are contesting.

Don't give me that "more violence only begets more violence" bullshit. I wouldn't give a rats ass about what the kidnappers family would think. And the proof is that as I'm typing this, I'm watching the news on TV about the 8 year old girl who was kidnapped and then murdered. The killer also had the gall to take a picture of the little girl and then send it by email to her mom with a note saying "I got your daughter".

I cannot express enough - the rage I feel at this moment. If the killer was in front of me right now, I would do my best to kill him. And if his family was naive enough to think he didn't deserve the "punishment", then I'd tell them to go $%$%$ themselves.

BTW - I don't think TP was treated "harshly". 3 months in jail is far more lenient that the death penalty handed out by Taiwan and other asian countries for smuggling drugs into their country. But like I said - TP owned up to his mistake, and isn't crying on everyone's shoulder about how bad he was treated. And so for that - I applaud him.

God I hope they catch this murdering prick who is still on the loose...there is nothing I hate worse than child molesters, child abusers, and child murderers... mad.gif mad.gif

Quote:
What would you think and what would you do if your kid got arrested for the same crime as i have? I'm not accusing you of being a bad parent, just wanted your opinion..
In previous post liks about you wanted my opinion and I gave it in later post, and I thought maybe you reply after that. But maybe no....
  • 1 month later...