For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to judge you or lecture you for what you did. In my opinion it is a considerably less dangerous drug than alcohol and tobacco and the laws here are fairly draconian in that respect. I was just surprised that a permanent res would put himself in this position.

I hope you get off leniently, and have a good season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunderpants, that's really tough. I'm so sorry to hear that you had to experience life in Japanese detention for so long, including solitary. So glad to hear that you'll never risk that again and I'm glad that (even though I just said it was a long time) it was only a short time, if you know what I mean.

I know someone who had a 3 month suspended sentence (plus probation) last winter for being caught with a joint on him. (Why did they stop him in the first place? Racisim - Black guy (musician) driving a van. Would they stop a Japanese (or even white guy) driving a van? I visited him a few times in detention, brought him things to read, etc. The police there really liked him, so he was lucky to be treated reasonably well during his stay (for want of a better word). If he didn't have a J-wife and kids he'd probably have been deported. But people spoke out for him in court as well. It cost him work, etc too, as you can imagine.

Someone else I know was thrown into detention for 7 days a few years ago for riding a bicycle without a light (long story, she was sick of getting stopped so she tried to get away, her own fault, but the punishment by far outweighed the 'crime'. Anyway, that's not the issue here). She told me in great detail what it was like to be in detention and what it was like to visit the prosecutor's office.

It is not a good place to hang out.

I'm glad you got out Thunder, but I'm amazed that you were let out on bail. I didn't think they allowed that kind of thing in Japan. I wish you all the best with the court case.

By the way - about that Nick Baker thread - I had read the thread on Japan Today's forums awhile back, and actually, it's worth taking a look. I really don't know what the truth is, but it could be that he's not as innocent as it appears. I don't know if the poster called Booba was John Devlin as they say on the link posted here. It's easy to trash John Devlin, he has a bad rep. I've not heard any 1st hand things about him so I make no judgement myself on him, though I have read some websites trashing him. However, whether those other websites are justifed or not, this in itself doesn't mean that JD was posting as Booba.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
(Why did they stop him in the first place? Racisim - Black guy (musician) driving a van. Would they stop a Japanese (or even white guy) driving a van?
I know that a Japanese guy driving a van was stopped and he was arrested in Shibuya last year. He had weed in his car. (Actually it wasn't his weed but his friend's.) So, it's not racism, sunrise.

Taguchi, I think I can hear the sound of your knee jerking :p . I clearly get your message that you're unsympathetic with anyone who knowingly breaks the law in principle. It also does seem you have some empathy for Thuderpants for the situation he's in, even though you think he deserves it.

Thunderpants you have my full sympathy, how you got into the situation is neither here nor there for me. The important issue IMO is that you're the victim of the draconian application of an unecessary law.

The law is the law but that doesn't necessarilly make it just or rational. I'm not disputing the basic legality (although I disagree with this particular law), doing the same thing is also illegal in my country. However this type of offence doesn't merit such harsh treatment . Thunderpants has suffered enough, has actually harmed no-one but himself, and is remorseful for breaking the law while still believing the law is wrong.

I'll stand by what I said. I didn't say you were lecturing Taguchi but you seem to like jumping to conclusions. You challenge my assertion that Thunderpants is a good man. What do you know about my relationship with him? We could be friends for all you know. As it happens I'm basing my opinion on what I know of him from his posts here. You'll be ok Thunderpants and as far as I'm concerned you're a good guy.

Quote:
I didn't say you were lecturing Taguchi but you seem to like jumping to conclusions. You challenge my assertion that Thunderpants is a good man. What do you know about my relationship with him? We could be friends for all you know.
I know nothing about your relationship with him. You could be best friend with him.

That is why I asked the question "Do you know this person?" in my post. That's a question, right? trying to find out if you know him or not? wakaranai.gif

wakaranai.gif

From what I know, I think he's a fool.
That's all.

A fool?

Well, ok, he decides to try to get drugs sent to him in Japan. He knows it is illegal, probably knows that Japan is fairly strict about drugs.

That sounds foolish to me.... Do you think it sounds smart?

Never said it was a smart move now did I? Labeling him as a 'fool' is pretty harsh I reckon. Guilty of doing something foolish...hmmm...well I'd say we've all been in that boat. Doesn't make us all 'fools' though does it. This guy has been through a world of shit, feels remorseful and chastened, yet is brave enough to do us the favor of telling us his story. Keep putting the boot in if you like Taguchi...Meh...I can't be bothered disagreeing with you anymore.

Tagushi u drive a car?

You park your car on the side of the street to go into the convienice store to quickly buy an onigiri?

Do you speed up when you can see a light is changing to orange to get through before it goes red?

Do you use your mobile phone while driving?

If you answer yes to any of the above then you too are a fool, because you know all are against the law, but you do it anyway.

I bet you don't think that going to jail for any of the above is a fitting sentence for a petty crime right?

I would be careful with the label "fool" of people who break the law. A fool is a person who blindly follows the law and doesn't question it from time to time.

Quote:
I would be careful with the label "fool" of people who break the law. A fool is a person who blindly follows the law and doesn't question it from time to time.
I did not say straight that someone who is breaking the law is a fool. I said that someone who brings drugs into Japan - knowing that it is illegal and in particular that Japan is very strict on drugs - is foolish. I think it's quite simple.

It's not the same as stopping on side of road to go in 7-11 ( wakaranai.gif ). You really think that?

I'm sure if you can read it my post then you can see that.

I had enough of this anyway also, so I don't writing again about it.

But I still think Thunderpants is foolish for doing something like this, and I have no sympathy for him - or anyone who get caught on drugs charges here. It is their own fault.
 Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:

It's not the same as stopping on side of road to go in 7-11 ( wakaranai.gif ). You really think that?
In terms of breaking the "law" yes I do think that it is the same.

It too is heavily policed and has many consequneces not the least of which could lead to the death of someone.

I was tyring to jolt in you a thought process of what it is we do everyday that perterbs to break the law. What you consider to be a henious crime others might not and what you do not see as a crime others might.

Oh and don't run on my accord. Was not intending a direct attack ;\)

Davo!

Thank you for your kind words, it really warms my hart!

Yeah Sunrise, you are right, it could have been a lot worse, and i must say that while the japanese "hemp control law" is unfair, it is a very "cool" thing that the justice system is likly to give me 1 (one) chance and hand me a suspended sentence.

...And Taguchi

"Those without sin throw the first stone"

(Jesus)

My Boss 68 years old. He is also a police officer.

While being held in isolation, My lawyer came with a letter from him. It said something like "Everyone at the company is very worried about you. We all hope for your fast return to your job (!) Everyone makes mistakes, the important thing is not to repeat them.

That was all he wrote.

He came to the last trial to testify on my behalf.

He told the judge that he himself had made some "trouble in his own youth" He promised to spend more time talking to me, when asked what he would do to prevent me from commit more crimes.

Today i had my first day at work. EVERYONE were very kind and supportive, though i bet that they don't think weed or crime is cool.

3 days after my release for my "malicious" (prosecutor's words) and "foolish" crime. i suffer from insomnia, uncontrollable emotions and stomach problems. My body feels 10 years older.

I have no power.

I could not make the paddle past the break in shoulder high surf yesterday.

My arms and legs are thin, but i have gained weight

But i still have love !

I promise i will tell the full story when my head clears, and the trial is over, hang on!

Once again thank you everyone for the Positive respons. It has helped me lot to read your posts!

ATB

Thunderpants

No worries Thunderpants, I think you've got a lot of guts to tell the forum your story. Unfortunately Indosm there are no push-ups allowed in the Japanese clink. As far as I know you have to spend the day in a seiza position, or else!!

I think you can see from the reactions of Thunderpant's colleagues and friends that he must be a good bloke. While I agree that getting dope sent to your address is indeed a foolish thing to do, the malice is all in the law. Who of any character can call it a malicious crime?

Thunderpants, you'll get over it gradually. And good on you for telling us about it.

Yes, it's wonderful that your colleagues are so supportive. That's a real blessing. Some people aren't so lucky. A big plus that your boss is a cop- that has no doubt been very helpful to your cause. It's a major shock to the system to suddenly be plunged into an environment like that, plus that J-prison system is designed to [censored] with your mind big time and wear down the spirit. I would say with your body symptoms and insomnia that you're now suffering post traumatic stress. It'll be great for you to write the whole story down. The healing comes in the sharing. Consider seeing someone who does kampo and/or acupuncture and/or shiatsu/massage to give some nurturing help to your stressed out and weakened body from the long stay and lack of exercise, not to mention your stressed out emotions. In the meantime let 'em flow. Don't bottle anything up. You'll eventually come back into balance (but you already know that), in time for the snow.

Once again thanks for your kind words!

Ocean, weather i am a good person, i will leave to other people to judge ;\) but thanks for the kind words, i have read enough of your posts to appriciate your phrasing ;\)

Sunrise, I will post the whole story, but just sharing it with you people has helped me a lot.

I'm not suffering from POST traumatic stress just yet, i have my last courtdate on friday. I will recive my sentence then.

I am going to get some acupuncture this weekend, if i get the expected suspended sentence. Thanks for the advice! (I just read out your last post to my wife. What i nice person you are, she said)

Yuki's Passion, i have smoked for 20 years, i have felt great about it most of the time.

I have decided to quit 100% in japan, or where ever i go in the future. there are things more important than getting stoned. a life in freedom gets me high.

I can not let down the people who love and care for me one more time. i have been forgiven once, it is not going to happen again. I promised them to quit!

..And those of you out there who smoke weed knows the feeling of paranoia while stoned if the Circumstances are not right. Smoking can never be fun for me again if i am going to break that promise AND having a suspended sentence hanging over my head!

Stoners out there, the risk is just too big here in Japan, if you loose you are in big trouble!

Oh one more thing, I will probably improve my snowboarding a lot this year due to the lack of stimulants \:\)

ATB

Thunderpants

sorry to hear about your story TP - glad to hear you are coping with it. I've had quite few friends go to jail here, and none of them have kind words to say about the place.

To those you think the hemp control laws are heavy here, have a look at the law regarding pot in the good ol' US of A.....there are some REALLY crazy laws. I'm reading a book at the moment, 'reefer madness' by eric schlosser (he also wrote fast food nation), he goes through a few cases that deal with people being given life terms for introducing a buyer to a seller, first offenders being given 8 yrs, another guy given 12 yrs just for helping unload a boatful of hash (which was proven NOT to be his), he also talks about the amount of property and assets seized by the DEA (which in some cases gets sold to DEA agents friends for next to nothing) and how these same assets are being used to prop up departmental budgets. The book then tells about a bunch of congressmen's children, governer's children, and others from 'high' places who were busted and had their charges droped from, in some cases, dealing coke and pot ,to misdemeaners (???). These people's children get off with community service, small fines ($100), and suspended sentences.......now THAT is harse......

Still, TB, I have to agree with the others, getting stuff sent to your own address is dumb. Could you not find any good hash here - there is litterally tons of the sh*t ? ? ? ? Good luck with giving it up..........