J-Girlfriend finding work in UK/USA

I am back with a brand new invention...

My J-girlfriend is living with me in the UK now, shes studying English full time for a year. We both graduate next summer and want to stay here.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? I'd love to hear how you go on.

Also if anyone knows any job agencies in the UK that recruit Japanese people (I know they exist but I neglected to keep a list of bookmarks of them) that would really help.

I assume you're talking about temporary employment?

One idea is to go around to the UK offices of Japanese companies to see if administrative or secretarial help is needed. They are usually staffed leanly and might be interested in part-time employment of a native Japanese speaker, to help this or that expat with whatever is going on...yet they have no concept or budget for recruiting. Walk-in or cold calling is a great approach. You can easily get a list of J companies/branch offices and their address/contact info from the J Embassy or Consulate in the UK.

This was a little-known but successful gambit in Michigan, when I was there with my then-fiancee. There were a lot of Japanese companies there in the auto business, like Takata, Yazaki, Kubota, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

It seems a bit better than the usual restaurant worker/cash under the table gambit.

Also check out local universities and high schools that have Japanese language classes. Native speakers, even if unskilled in pedagogic matters, can earn good money by offering J conversation per hour for cash, and also even get employment as native speaker assistants for the "drill" or "language lab" type portion of the curriculum.

\:D

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:

Also check out local universities and high schools that have Japanese language classes. Native speakers, even if unskilled in pedagogic matters, can earn good money by offering J conversation per hour for cash, and also even get employment as native speaker assistants for the "drill" or "language lab" type portion of the curriculum.
My god! Does thats really happen??? unbelievable lol.gif

Bobby

Going on my friends' experiences, if you marry her, she'll get the visa to work and she'll find work no problem. English ability shouldn't be such a big deal. Lots of Japanese companies in the UK are understaffed due to visa problems and/or the ability to put together a sufficient package to attract someone from Japan. Or at least they used to be. Contact them yourselves as migraine suggests.

If she doesn't have a visa she can work on, it may be tough to find something decent.

Yeah, actually theres meant to be loads though I dont have a car and havent seen much of the area so I have only seen one or two places. Theres a huge KUBOTA or something place that makes farming vehicles, and I heard the car makers have depots up here.

The Nissan plant is huge. They keep threatening to move to Spain and always end up getting more subsidies from the government. I think they make the Micra there. With pump prices in Britain so high, small cars like the Micra are a big seller.

Komatsu make bulldozers and the like in Durham. I think it's an old Caterpillar plant.

komatsu - thats the one. the plant is quite surreal, its like a mechanical jurassic park as you drive past.

i reckon we will probably have to go to the dreaded london when we graduate. i like the place and am from there, but its just so god damn expensive and we will never get to buy a decent house.