These things reallt annoy me when you are not told that a link is to a pdf file and you click it to sit there for minutes while the pdf file downloads and there's nowt you can do about it. Very annoying.

Whether in an office or on the Net, .pdf files are the most annoying thing ever. Not only do they take forever to open up even on the latest superfast PC, but once you open them, it's awkward to move around and view them.

You can size the page to fit the window, in which case the text is too small to read, or you can zoom it to readable text, but then you can only view 1/2 of the page at a time. And half the on-screen real estate is taken up by the blank space at the bottom of the page, the empty space to show where one page stops and the other starts, and the blank space atop the next page. However I scroll around, I seem to spend most of my time trying to avoid a full screen showing only the gaps between pages. It's kind of like balancing a balloon on your nose. It takes a lot of adjusting.

And the scrolling is different from normal scrolling. You can click the arrows to scroll up or down, but it moves really really slowly. Or you can "grab" and move up or down. Too much work for me. I hate .pdf files. You have to print them out to read and understand them effectively.

I found some cheats online where you can speed up Acrobat Reader's loading time by removing a lot of the junk that is in its folder, but it isn't a perfect solution.

The final insult, as giggsy mentioned, is that once you click on a .pdf file, you can't use your computer until the damn thing has finished loading. It's like going back to 1995 when every PC operation involved 30+ seconds of spinning hard drive and blank flashing screen while things got drawn and re-drawn and loaded.

A real speed and productivity killer. Hurry up and wait.

I hate .pdf files!

mad.gif

Extracting the text from pdf for useful things like editing and translating is rife with pitfalls. Even with dedicated software, there's often a friendly message informing you that because the thing uses fonts or something impossibly technical like that, text cannot be extracted.

Universality...

Yes, hate the things... any site that uses them gets an immediate black mark, esp. as my whole computer works slower after acrobat has loaded. I have to quit the application and restart the computer to return to full internet functionality after using pdfs... mad.gif

I generally scan for pdf suffixes when I open a page, but sometimes I forget...

Long story:

Acrobat and the .pdf format is now the big money-maker for Adobe. Their market for graphic tools (eg Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) is saturated, so they've shifted focus to the lucrative enterprise market, namely through Acrobat.

Today if you wanted to move up the ladder of success at Adobe, you would probably have to brainwash yourself to believe .pdf files to be the greatest invention since white bread, and say stuff like "Acrobat enables .pdf-based Intelligent Documents to help streamline document-based processes". Fortunately I don't work there.

Short story:

.pdf files aren't going away anytime soon, there's too much money behind it.

I guess my proposed sales brochure wording would have been rejected?

"Acrobat locks up users' computers for 10-20 seconds while loading a cumbersome, awkward-to-view picture of documents where you have to counter-intuitively pull up to view down, thus streamlining the 'red rage-filled hatred of institutional software' process."

Think about it...

NORMAL: scroll down, view down

ACROBAT: pull up, view down.

Who is the idiot that perpetuates this annoyance, version after version.

WHY?!?!?

\:D

acrobat still has the scroll bars on the right like any browser, but it has an extra thing where you can pull up/down. i think the pull thing is fairly intuitive actually if you look at the icon.

the problem with pdf is that people make huge 20mb files and dont bother to warn anyone.

good point is you can download a whole document in one go and save it, unlike a series of html pages.

the problem with acrobat pdf reader being so bloody slow to load up is this - all the sundry plug-ins the acrobat insists on loading up each time.

Most of these plug ins you never use and are pretty much useless for most users

A program like "Adobe reader speed up" prevents all the plug ins from loading, it seems to work for me give it a whirl

you can get it here its free

• 1 year later...

I have Adobe acrobat (not acrobat reader ) and sometimes I need to convert some files to pdf. file using it. As everyone says, yes it's annoying.

I wonder probably it's more annoying when you have an access to some "ENGLISH language" pdf.files which are made on some Japanese OS computer. Because when I convert some to English pdf. file, I need to set the pdf. file size at "standard" size which is more than twice bigger than "smallest". If I set it at "smallerest" size, some letters seem to look funny on English OS computer, I have been told.

If I need to convert some to Japanese pdf. file, no problem though.

Maybe not that hard if that English language pdf.files are made on English OS computer?