I was biking with my dog this afternoon and was crossing an intersection and a lady smashed into me with her car. I wasnt hurt very badly but I did loose some skin off the elbows and knees, I was more worried about the dog, but she came out OK. I asked the lady why she didnt see me as I had the right of way and she said she was too busy dialing on her keitai (isnt that illegal to do while driving) any way she said sorry and I got 10 000 yen for my trouble. Thank god I was wearing my helmet and biking gloves otherwise it could have been worse. Very sucky day mad.gif

That does suck Telleboy. I got hit on my mt. bike a few years ago. I fell, bent my tire but and scraped my hand. That what it. The old guy looked at me from his car window, saw I wasn't dead (or that I was gaijin) and sped off without a word mad.gif

She got off lightly.

I would have pretended to be calling the police to report that she was using the keitai while driving.

Thats a big fine, especially that she's hurt someone.

I hope that she is genuine and does come around and check you out. Just play abit and bandage up your knee say that you feel like that expensive sushi rest for lunch etc etc! get pampered bro, cause she could have lost her licence for that!

Good to hear you're ok telleboy, there are some seriously dangerous people out there behind the wheel. Obviously I'm not the only one who's almost been taken out by one of them. I had basically the same situation as you Kintaro, except the oyaji was driving a ktruck.

Around the center of Osaka the wide streets have cycle lanes, and bikes have the right of way at the intersection of smaller side streets. This ktruck hit the front wheel of my bike as it screeched, luckily for me, to a halt in the middle of the, clearly marked, cycle lane.

Totally buckled the front wheel of my mamachari. I went flying off in front of the truck but came off with nothing worse than some bruises and cuts on my palms.

Oyaji was like...daijobu! daijobu!...and I'm like fully shocked and saying...wakaranai...thinking "#### I almost died just now".

I was just happy to be alive and the old guy had gone into a kind of shock himself cause he was totally in the wrong. He was also freaked by the fact that I was a gaijin. He told me he was going to get some money from the ATM and I was like...whatever. So he takes off and after a few minutes the shock is wearing off, and I'm thinking the guy isn't coming back. But sure enough he comes back and gives me....10000 yen lol.gif .

So I left and went to a cafe...I think...and then went and taught a 2 hour class. Everyone told me I could've gotten a lot of money but that was the last thing on my mind after seeing my life flash before my eyes. My girl was kind of pissed off with me for not getting the guys details in case I had some injury which showed up later on. I was just glad to be alive.

This lady is totally in the wrong bro. She owes you something and she knows it. Just make sure you leave her with the determination to be more careful in the future.

The lady ccame around today with a big bag of cakes, maybe so I can put more padding on my bod for next time. I couldnt really screw her for more money as this is a very small comunity and my wife teaches her children. She was very very sorry and promised to be more careful driving and not to use her keitai in the car, I kind of feel sorry for her as she was more shit scared than I was after I stopped shaking, still feeling pretty sore today but nothing a good programme of onsen and beers wont fix!

Also her car came off worse than I did as my solid steel tank of a bike stoved in her front fender, Thats gonna cost her big time to replace.

Moral of the story is, never trust any driver even if you have the right of way and always wear a helmet, I beleive in saving my noggin as its the only part of my body that wont repair itself.

I got hit my first year here when I was running. The lady was coming out of the parking lot and failed to notice a guy with a bright yellow jacket on with reflectors. Wasnt able to walk very well for about a month but I did get about 160,000 from her insurance company. You shoulda milked it!!

shifty.gif

If you weren't hurt, why would you want to 'milk it' and cause the woman more stress than she already obviously had. Unless you just enjoy doing that, of course. It sounds like she was pretty stressed out about it and learnt a lesson.

She would have been up to her neck in s**t if she had hit my dog. I wasnt too worried about me as I tend to bounce quite well and new I had all appendages functioning after, I was worried about my head though as my helmet has a huge crack in it and is now useless. She wanted to replace my helmet but I said dont bother as Im leaving the country next year and wont get to ride my bike for much longer, I told her to get some helmets for her kids instead. Had a CAT scan the other day just to check everything was functioning and turned out OK, the scan was free as the local doctor is a regular drinking buddy of mine. Found out that I cracked a rib, that sucked, it doesnt hurt too bad. Shes come around home a few times now to check up so I give her full credit on the worry thing.

I guess its all working out to your satisfaction but were it me, I would have called the cops immediately. Had the situation been reversed, you being a gaijin and hitting a Japanese person, you would likely have ended up with some jail time or heavy fines and a crap load of bills.

Well maybe not in your case if you actually know them personally - but the norm is a gaijin will get screwed bad. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was making a right turn and almost hit an old lady in the cross walk. It was his fault for ALMOST hitting her - not looking closely first before turning - but he didn't actually hit her. But she freaked out and lied acting like he did hit her - called the cops who called an ambulance to take her away even though she was walking around just fine. The hospital doc said she had a "bruised knee" from the non-accident. A few days later she went back to the doc and claimed she had headaches and couldn't hear right. Luckily the doc knew better and told her to get real. End result was he had to pay a visit to the prosecutors office who scolded him for hitting the old lady but that since she didn't get seriously injured, no jail time or fine.

Auto accidents are always someones fault. The person who is at fault needs to be taught a hard lesson - paying 10,000 yen isn't hard enough if you ask me...

p.s. Glad to be back on the forum...must be getting kind of cold outside - almost snowboarding time...had a great summer though... \:\)

Welcome back Ray,have you been too busy on the water the to post?

I'd say you're being pretty good about things Telleboy. Cracked ribs hurt pretty bad don't they. You're karma credits have just received a bit of a boost I reckon.

wave.gif

Yeah Davo, Goin for the Karma credits, although thinkin about it, Us gaijins do get f**fed over if we make a near mistake. Personally Im glad with the course I took of no severe injuries nocomplaints. If I had been living in a city it would have been different, but I feel more sorry for my dog at the mo, she just had her overies whipped out, that gotta hurt more than Im feeling.

Davo see you soon.

Quote:
Us gaijins do get f**fed over if we make a near mistake
Is that really so? I have never ever felt that way, not once. In fact, quite the opposite (not that I have done anything really bad of course!)

I actually had a small accident in my car last year. No-one was hurt it was on an icy road and I slid across the road very very slowly and very lightly bumped into a car that was on the other side of the road. Hardly any damage at all. The police were called, they were very friendly, the other people were ok about it too..... basically I just said sorry and they let me off. I felt I was really let off lightly, and generally treated well. I went round to the other peoples place soon after with a "sorry omiyage" and they were well pleased.