Ireland is named "best country"

They seem to have a thing for Europe. (Unless of course Europe is the dogs bollocks. Is it?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4020523.stm

1 Ireland

2 Switzerland

3 Norway

4 Luxembourg

5 Sweden

6 Australia

7 Iceland

8 Italy

9 Denmark

10 Spain

Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Must've done a big flip -

I recall strong elements of bigotry, racism, victorianism, decay and a general feeling of gritty malaise superimposed over a smokefilled alcohol fired bonhomie.

But hey, thats 15+ ago.

Hail Mary. ;\)

From an economist point of view Ireland is the shiz with it's high GDP, burgeoning industries,youthful demographics and all the other stuff which makes it a hugely popular tourist destination. Never been there but I'm sure it's great. Having said that, I wouldn't rate the Economist as a lifestyle magazine lol.gif

How my dream of Ireland was deflated.

--steep and deep powder snow destinations?

--relatively warm surf points?

--smoke-free restaurants and bars?

--good Japanese or Korean food readily available?

--left-hand drive cars?

--deserts, forests, mountains, lakes for adventure, camping and/or family touring?

--long hot dry summers tapering off into glorious autumn days with blazing fall colors?

--family and friends nearby?

In defense of the dream are quaint landscapes and towns, good beer, and proximity to the continent. But to live there? I couldn't do it. I feel cold, tired and depressed just thinking about it.

\:D

BM Ireland has recently banned smoking in bars and pubs, which is also a somewhat contentious issue over here in the UK at the moment!

As for WHY Ireland is so great, well a good friend of my who currently resides in Waterford mentioned the Craic (no jokes please). He seems to think that peolpe are:

"...just a lot more laid back and up for some fun."

So there we have it. If everyone is up for the Craic then we'd all be number one.