The legal limit in hawaii is .o8.

So Akibun, if you were stopped with a .o1 blood alcohal content you would be arrested for drunk driving?

Also, what's the penalty for a first offense in Japan?

thanks

I think they're pretty strict on it here.

I heard a story from a friend, one of their buddies is a teacher. He decided to drive home after an enkai and so had had a few (but was by no means 'drunk'). Anyway, he got stopped and had his breath checked and he was of course over zero. Apparently, as well as having to pay and have his licence taken off him for a period of time, he will now never get a promotion and has had his bonuses curtailed, and basically on a teacher 'blacklist'.

In Adelaide it's 0.05 which allows a few drinks over a few hours but not much.

Here, you can apparently get done just for having a small glass of beer. There seems to be a zero tolerance policy if you get caught. There is no education to inform people if it is ok just to have one drink.

Thing is here they only police it around bonus times and in the same places each time. It seems pretty hard to get caught.

Drink Driving in SA

Kintaro,

How many weako American beers can you have before you are over the limit in Hawaii then?

Also, now we are talking about drinking ... are the beers better in Hawaii than in the rest of the States? What should I be drinking when Im there?

Japan is super strict but lots of young kids drive after a few beers anyway. Even the passengers get fined if you get caught in a car with a "drunk" driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:

Japan is super strict but lots of young kids drive after a few beers anyway. Even the passengers get fined if you get caught in a car with a "drunk" driver!
WW, try most of the population mate!
Snack bars with parking etc etc. If I was a cop and wanted to bust people I know where i'd wait :p

Woywoy,

Of course Hawaiian beers are better than mainland US beers ;\) But I think most all American beers are 3-3.5% and Hawaii is no exception. Given my size, I can legally drink about 4 beers perhour and drive home legally.

While you are on Oahu, try check out Aloha Tower's Gorden Beirsch. They have exellent micro brews and usually pretty good live entertainment. I don't know what's going on on the NS these days as far as micro brew go. But I'm confident you'll find something. Don't drink and drive though. Hawaii cops seem to make a living on catching drunk drivers.

don't be afraid to drink on the beach though...it's illegal but alcohal and weed seem to be ok on Hawaiian beaches. \:\)

Quote:
Snack bars with parking etc etc. If I was a cop and wanted to bust people I know where i'd wait
...and thats just what they do round here, especially on weekends and holiday periods. And they really come down strong on people who drive after drinking. People might do it, but if they get caught they might be in for a nasty shock.

Damn then Nagoya must be an exception.

I hardly ever see the boys in blue out at all. If you do you could see them 100's of metres down the road and hop down a side street. Something that you can't do where I'm from in Oz coz they will be waiting there too.

In Japan, I am happy that I am a woman!

I was driving to my home after my farewell party few years ago. I was stopped by a cop and he asked me not "Osake nonde masuka?" but "Osake nonde naidesune. Kiotsukete unten shitene. ;\) " He was a nice guy!

I had some beer at my farewell party. \:D

Earlier this year I took a small bunch of locals to OZ for a road trip. I was the mini-bus driver. About 9.00am on an isolated section of an interstate highway passing through a literally 3 house town I was pulled over. I was driving at 87km/h instead of the 80km posted after slowing from the legal 110km/h.

First thing after the obligatory "G'day" was "Please blow into the bag".

I jokingly said "Mate, it's only 9:00am and I've been on the road for 2hrs. Haven't had time for a quick one yet. Also got a bus load of Japanese tourists - wink, wink"

Not even a faint smile broke out on his high-noon weathered face.

It's the law!

So I began blowing as the passengers began filing out looking very worried and puzzled.

Of course I registered a big fat 0 and in his halting gravelly voice

"I'm just cautioning you this time for the speeding" - helped no doubt by 8 ba-chans chattering away excitedly around him.

Geez, things have got tight in Oz.

> Geez, things have got tight in Oz.

I guess the growing road toll might have something to do with that, and the fact that a large percentage of those deaths can in some way be attributed to alcohol (the rest is probably made up by speeding 'P' platers and bloody urban 4WD's A.K.A. Toorak Tractors)

Did you know they're bringing out substance testing soon? I have a freind who is involved in testing the various machines they're going to use. I don't know the threshold, or whether it's going to be zero tolerance. But needless to say, all my dope smoking friends who think they're much safer driving stoned are about to get a rude shock.

Indosnm - have you lived in SA previously?

Quote:
Originally posted by voidhawk:
Indosnm - have you lived in SA previously?
Yeah mate i have. Thats where I come from.
From about now its almost impossible to get out of the city without running into a RBT(random breath testing) station.
Totally tight ass, but for a good reason.

as for the cops.
They have always been tight asses.

Indosnm - you're right about the cops, though the state governments are also the ones pushing revenue collection in my opinion.

Regardless, if I were to be living in SA right now, I'd probably try and live somewhere near the Coopers Brewery, perhaps see if they can run a line of Pale Ale directly to my house instead of the water mains.

They can do that ... right? \:\)

I see the feelgood vibe here and wish I were sitting down having some beers with you guys!

North American beers are often ridiculed, and for good reason. The mass-produced stuff is mostly diluted peewater. But it needs to be clarified that many foreigners ignorantly buy the wrong beers in the US. Put another way, foreigners don't know how to properly buy beer in the United States. There are jillions of delicious small-brand, local and micro-brewed beers all over the place. They're everywhere. When I go to a bar or liquor store, that's all I look at and all I drink. If you go to a bar and they only have Coors, Bud and Miller, then you went to the wrong bar. The only acceptable course of action at that point is to order a shot of your favorite poison, then walk out to a Proper drinking establishment.

Great stuff! The hunt for favorite watering holes and yet another wholesome brew.

But another part of me thinks about the people I know who were killed or mutilated thanks to drunk drivers.

One guy standing on the sidewalk was cut in half as a drunk guy changing radio stations went just a couple meters off the road at low speed. By the time he figured out his mistake, his victim was severed in half at the waist, intestines spilling out onto the grass. According to witnesses, his top half fell down and apparently died within a few seconds, but the rest of him remained stuck to a concrete utility pole like squashed cockroach legs.

Another guy I know got out to help a lady change a flat tire. A drunk driver saw their emergency flashers and thought that was where the road went. The woman was killed instantly, and the guy suffered a bad head injury with brain damage. The damage is, he has no short-term memory whatsoever. He can't make any new memories. You can go over to their house and he'll say hi and seem perfectly normal. Then if you go out of his field of vision, he completely forgets you're there. When he looks at you again, he lights up and says "Hi!" all over again. Part of his jaw had to be reconstructed using bones scraped from other parts of his body. Yes there are scars, and he often asks where they came from. After 15 years, he doesn't even know. He was going to be a pilot and was ready to head off to college, but obviously now still lives as an evergreen mental teenager with his Mom and Dad.

I lived between two bars for a couple years. Every month there was a crash or accident on the street in front of the house. One night, it was my own sister who aimed the car wrong, took out the mailbox and a small tree, then hid under the back deck as the cops swarmed all over the yard looking for her.

Yeah, when I was younger I did my share of driving home after 1, 2 4 and even 10 beers, and I "got away with it". I'm not holier than thou. I just realize what a stupid, dangerous thing I was doing, and that there is more to this topic than how much you can have before you judge it unsafe to drive, and where the cops lurk on Friday nights.

I got away with it numerous times, felt I was OK to drive up to X beers, and felt I could get away with driving a short distance home even after X+Y beers, and maybe you did too. But I don't think people who haven't managed yet to control this dangerous behavior are entitled to go through a young phase where they get away with it for several years until age, police or disaster impart to them such wisdom, or at least, completely self-interested reluctance, as to keep them off the road after drinking.

I love it that the law is very strict on this. Obviously people are still going to get away with it, but unlike parking overtime at a meter or trespassing on private property, this is one crime where both you and others are at risk of serious injury or death.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

There's no 'party pooper-ing' to it badmigraine - you hit the nail dead on the head. Law violations that have the potential to cause harm to others, especially involving motor vehicles, should be taken very seriously.

I probably should have made myself clearer when I mentioned police/state governments being interested in revenue collection more than safety - I was thinking more of the petty offences like parking fines, being in posession of enough drugs to get yourself and nobody else high, or doing 5km/h over a 100km/h speed limit in the middle of nowhere, at 4 in the morning, on a dead, straight road in a car safer than the cop car, with not another car in sight, driving by yourself (my one and only speeding offence).

Drink-driving on the other hand, I definitely don't have a problem with people being fined/losing their licence over that. I also have lost friends in these sorts of road accidents, as well as people being stoned off their nuts.

Drinking (many) fine beers (like the Nth American microbrews you mentioned badmigraine) is best done when you don't even plan to drive the morning after, let alone that night. In a pub or at someone's house with friends, or in the alps in an onsen/hot tub (depending on location) .... not a car in sight. That's the way it should be.

P.S. Best micro-brewery beer on the planet: Mountain Goat Hightail Ale, made here in Melbourne. Of course ... i haven't tried EVERY beer on the planet so there may be some exaggerated assumptions in that statement.

A bit off subject. I remember coming here and my first attemts to make curry from the chocolatebarlike curry you get here. And also mistaking manju for choco-treats. I remember munching into one of them and my disgust at finding (what I didn't know then were) beans!