I was just thinking about him in another post. The guy has made many movies and is celebrated in western film circles. What am i missing? I find most of his stuff a waste of film (especially Battle Royale).

Does anyone here like his work? Or know anything about him and why he is such a big star in Japan (for something other than a knack for dressing up in ridiculous costumes, i presume)?

I find alot of his yakuza stuff is similar to Abel Ferrara flicks (Bad Lieutenant, King of New York) in that they are intense and brutal, but still kinda funny at times. In this genre, Kitano's films like Sonatine, Boiling Point, Violent Cop come to mind. Usually there's not the standard Hollywood build-up to action; instead, stuff just explodes, then becomes quiet again.

Although a different genre, I also liked Zatoichi.

He puts out so much stuff, you gotta pick and choose. Some is crap, some is pretty good. I didn't care for Battle Royale either.

I enjoy Kitano Takehashi's work. Both his subtle imagery and his acting, I find entertaining. However, I must admit, he seems to have a sick sense of humour and that my be why many find his stuff tasteless. Maybe that's what I appreciate about him! confused.gif

It was a moped accident. He crashed into a utility pole and briefly became a Buddhist ascetic (for about a month or two).

His films are utterly boring to me. Getting about with your shirt hanging out and wearing a poker face is NOT acting.

He has his own tv channel on skyperfect too - is that full of the serious of seriously-stupid Takeshi? He gets on my nerves the few times I've seen him, though Sanma gets on my nerves more.

I think he is smart, just likes to play a fool as well. I saw one of his programs on Sky perfect just a short while mind. It was a fairly laid back, fairly serious interview type program. He was smoking.