At a meeting today it seems that, because of the recent Niigata-ken earthquake, a massive 95% of all hotel bookings in Yuzawa between 23rd and 31st Oct were cancelled, with a similar percentage of cancellations being reported for November since the beginning of the month.

They've decided to launch a camapign primarily in Tokyo to try to get people back in time for the ski season..... no details on what that will actually involve yet.

We wish them luck. We are based in Yuzawa and have seen the effects of all this - almost no-one in the town. It's not been a fun few weeks for anyone in the region, but it's important to try to keep things in perspective.

Since the main quakes a few weeks ago there have been hundreds of aftershocks in the Ojiya region where it all happened. Thats about an hours ride to the north of Yuzawa. Only a few of them have been felt in Yuzawa - and when they have been felt in Yuzawa, they've been small and similar sized ones have also been felt over in Gunma (Kitashina, Numata) and eastern Nagano (Nozawa). Even with the first big ones, there was no real damage done in Yuzawa and almost everywhere has been pretty much operating as normal since a few days after. (Just minus the guests!)

The last few days has seen considerably less activity up in the epicenter area as well, so hopefully that will continue and we've nearly seen the end of it.

The trains are still coming to Yuzawa from Tokyo as per normal and the expressway and route 17 are also ok.

We just want to say - gambare Yuzawa!

It will be interesting to see what they actually do with that campaign.

It must be distressing having to deal with the actual quake and then deal with short-term and potentially long-term business collapse as well. \:\(

No fears here, I'll be up there as soon as the snow falls. clap.gif

Hope things get better quicker for everyone up there.

Earthquake or not, I'll be up there in Yuzawa following Mogs down hardscrabble cliff faces and jetting over yawning chasms.

I'll be doing my part to support the local economy, especially by pouring hundreds and hundreds of yen into beer vending machines, then pouring the beer down my throat. And a lot of coffee and tonjiru too. And curry. And maybe, candy bars. And a flask!

I expect huge dumps this year. Don't ask me why, I just have a feeling!

Wife has zero interest in sitting around doing baby care at a ski resort, so I will be solo and free and easy!

\:D

Quote:
since the main quakes a few weeks ago there have been hundreds of aftershocks
Not having experienced an earthquake, have lots of questions sorry. But they say hundreds of aftershocks. Do they cause damage too, and can people get on with their lives or .. what? It must be very stressful & intimidating.

Over 800 now I hear. Most of them are small 1s and 2s. There have been a few 5 aftershocks and they are pretty powerful but usually not in themselves enough to bring a house down. But as they are aftershocks quite a lot of places have been structurally compromised and already in a bad way. I further big shake might bring them down completely. but there have not been that many reports of destruction of buildings over the last few weeks even with all the aftershocks. (Apart from the problem with the 'natural dams' in Yamakoshi-mura and the flooding).

Yes it is very stressful and intimidating (although I'm in Niigata city so there hasn't been that much movement recently) You just don't know when the next jolt is due.

Just spoke with a friend up there who owns a hotel/pension. They reckon it'll take "a few years" for things to get back to normal business wise. So much for people forgetting within the month.