That stat is based on one pessenger's share of emisions Vs average car use (about 16,000kms, I believe), so, yes, you personally are polluting as much in one flight as a car driver in one year.

* One return flight to Florida produces the equivalent CO2 of a year's average motoring.

* Emissions at altitude have 2.7 times the environmental impact of those on the ground

So, if you add these two together, you're actually contributing 2.7 times more to global warming in one flight than one car year.

Using these stats, it follows that flight already contributes more to global warming than cars do in the UK.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Some old timers who make biodiesel from collected waste oil in Suzaka, east of Nagano City, just got five minutes on the local news. They reckon they'll be up to 2,000 litres this month.

They have a flash machine that still uses the standard methanol recipe, but I suppose it will help them get the official nod. The fuel is used by local government gomi trucks and heavy equipment at the gomi center.

bdf-t3.jpg

http://blog.suzaka.ne.jp/selnet

Having a proper system like that is surely the way to go. Not everybody wants to make it in their kitchen as it's not entirely safe or efficient. Also I think they need to stop 'hiding' biodiesel in bin lorries and industrial equipment and start getting it into normal cars so people get familiar with the concept.

I'm wondering how I can replace the stinky kerosene in our hot water boiler with something made of vegetable oil. That would be a big improvement.

• 2 months later...