Here's an account of a visit by renown Middle East correspondent Robert Fisk.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=4579

If I was in Tokyo, I had the time, and it didn't involve financially supporting them (e.g., if it's free or you can sneak in), I might go. As a.n.other gaijin in Japan, I don't think it would mean anything.

That's an interesting read Mr Wiggles. I've actually not heard of this place until reading that article and doing a quick Google to find out more.

I read that yasukuni jinja is a different experience to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, which I will be visiting in a week or two when I get to Japan. Is that true? And if so in what way? Is it that one shrine focuses on war and the other on peace?

I had been to Yasukuni Jinja twice. For summer festival and cherry blossom viewing.

I remember I had same impression when I went there fist time and when I went to National Defense Academy in Yokosuka.

I felt like I had time tripped.

My wife used to work for a Chinese based B2B companay that was very near Yasukuni Shrine and I visited the shrine out of interest. It is not particularly important if you go or not unless you are the prime minister of japan who should know better than to go in a way of saying "I don't really give a fk what you think" to his neighbors. If koizumi & Co. need to pray for the war criminals of past, I don't see why they can't do it the solace of their own homes. But then, of course, as is koizumi & Co., I am culturally insensitive.