I wonder what it feels like to be stuck in a tree well (assuming you didn't bash your naked head on the bark, and just sort of ended up inverted and flailing).

I once had a dream where I was stuck doubled over inside a concrete pipe, and couldn't get out! Horrible. I suppose being stuck in a tree well might be something like that.

Or else maybe like being 3 years old in a big puffy snowsuit and falling into a drift and getting stuck.

Anyone?

i fell into a snowdrift last season up in hida with toque. he made like three laps on a sick powder day while i looked for my glove, hat, goggles, pole, ski, etc. thought i was gonna drown in snow for awhile. sounds like it'd be a good way to go, but choking on pow when you're upside-down sucks. phhhhrew.

choking on faceshots at 50kph is another story. ;\)

That story brings to mind a good invention that I should start on. Beacons for gloves, skis, poles, goggles, favourites beanies etc. All the stuff that can possiblly be buried in those amaxing powder falls.

This could save all the poor powder hounds alot of cash each year.

Anyone want to invest?

What's this?!

Someone has stolen my idea!?!!

I gotta start patent proceedings earlier!

Quick web research shows the SOS Bug to be big and cumbersome and somewhat full of efficient use bugs. My desing will be the size of a penlight battery operated by the same and will fit into pre-fitted pockets in all clothing and other itmes of value that can and will get lost. It will be activated with a push similar to that whihc you find on those singing birthday cards and the activiation of one device will activate all within a range of 2m. Similar deactivation system to save battery power.

Version two will be Swimgo Buddy TM where the activation of of your's will also activate those of your poweder buddy so you don't have your tiem wasted lokking for his/her stuff cause they fell over!?

I shall call this the Swimgo TM. ( S h i te w ere'd m a s ki/snoboard go ?!)

Right off to talk to apparel and acessory manufactueres re the inclusion of this pocket in there products.

I wonder which is more difficult: searching for a lost ski or pair of goggles in a deep powder drift, or being 41 years old and trying to pick up a girl at the Gas Panic in Roppongi?

In either case, one feels a chill in the air.

\:D

Fallen head first into a tree well in Austria, had to get my mate to push my feet down underneath me, then I had to be helped out of the tree well as I was down about 7ft at the base.

Got out, pretty exhauseted, disoreinted and had bark and pine needles in my ears for days afterwards.

now that is an epic tree well story. I know a buddy that got stuck for an hour in one. Veronica most trees dont have wells but some trees do. I find the more open the area is the worse the wells can get. At Sunpeaks we used to use the 3meter wide tree wells to make kickers. all you had to do was shape the other side and it kicked you pretty good.

veronica, a tree well is the area at the base of tree that is snowless while all around is walled way high with snow. This happens because of the overhang of the branches of the tree and the wind ciculation round a tree base as it passes on down.

Here\'s what often in tree wells

I have seen very few tree wells in J-land, but that's only because there is nothign more than scraggly looking jiisan trees

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
pine trees create bad wells. The bushes here though can prove bottomless if you set in them. did that last year when I was route finding. took 45 mins to climb 10 meters.
That feeling, where your legs are walking, lifting up and down, but you know you aren't going anywhere.

You just have to keep packing it down or throw your equipment in front and try and crawl very softly through it.

It is good and bad at the same time.

Mogski - Your link doens't work \:\(

On a touring trip before Japan we were crossing through some young conifers. When we got into them the tips went down and heavy bags pushed us into them really hard to get out when your pinned to the ground by a huge bag and your skis are being held by the branches. Took almost an hour to escape.

thats why you bring a rope toque.

I always carry a d20m rope in my pack.

Got stuck traverseing over a big cliff last year. We were heading towards a doable jump but my mate fudged it up. so instead I built a 30 cm bridge to get myself out of our jam. after that I always carried my rope.