• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premise

This is the granddaddy of all alien invasion stories, first published by H.G. Wells in 1898. The novel begins ominously, as the lone voice of a narrator tells readers that "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's..."

Things then progress from a series of seemingly mundane reports about odd atmospheric disturbances taking place on Mars to the arrival of Martians just outside of London. At first the Martians seem laughable, hardly able to move in Earth's comparatively heavy gravity even enough to raise themselves out of the pit created when their spaceship landed. But soon the Martians reveal their true nature as death machines 100-feet tall rise up from the pit and begin laying waste to the surrounding land. Wells quickly moves the story from the countryside to the evacuation of London itself and the loss of all hope as England's military suffers defeat after defeat. With horror his narrator describes how the Martians suck the blood from living humans for sustenance, and how it's clear that man is not being conquered so much a corralled.

---

Cool. I wonder if any world leaders will reveal themselves as aliens.

• 2 months later...

This is going to be a pile of excrement. A total waste of a licence. Keep the original musical soundtrack, lose Tom Cruise, and set it in Victorian England instead of selling out to a lowest common denominator US audience. Bleergh!!

How will this be any different from ID4? I predict an ending with lots of fist pumping, high fives and over the top CG, with the US president taking on all the killing machines single-handedly using the term "kick-ass" a lot. I am off to listen to the old double CD soundtrack and have a little cry.

Oh and I thought the ending was brilliant. Killed by earth's true defence mechanism and the first arms race, microrganisms. I hope they at least leave that unmolested.

No, and I guess I will wait to see it (maybe) before I bag it anymore. From the trailer and the info I can get from the web it is not looking good for fans of the original story. I just really love the double album soundtrack for the atmosphere it created, and it was one of my fav albums when I was growing up. There are just somethings that don't sound right in anything other than an english accent, know wot I mean?

I really liked Spielberg & Cruise's last outing together ('Minority Report'), so I'm going with the law of averages. Thus, I will like 'War of the Worlds' as well (regardless of where it's set and whether Jeff Wayne's dated-but-still-funky musical rendition is involved or not)

• 2 months later...

They are aren't they? Nothing happens! I don't like trailers that give too much away (and there's too many of them), but this really is rubbish.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
They are aren't they? Nothing happens! I don't like trailers that give too much away (and there's too many of them), but this really is rubbish.
In keeping with the impending dud of a movie