Hanging out eating and maybe drinking anything from a little to a lot. Much less into the big nights out than I used to be. There are some good nights out to be had in Hakuba if you pick the right ones. Most of all I like sitting inside, all warm after a day in the snow, looking at those huge fluffy flakes coming down hard \:D . Apres ski is pretty much what you can make it in Japan I suppose. I'd like to have a bbq apres ski booze-up at least once or twice this season.

F$$K....that's all there is.....

just shows that you may as well snowcamp and see what being able to do your own thing in the snow feels like.....

In most places in the world, strangers (people you haven't met yet) engaged in leisure is sure to start social good times.....

Here, as we know.....it just makes people feel uncomfortable and less inclined to do anything unproscribed that might cause embarrassment or might disturb others by being spontaneous....or might lead to loss of public dignity (face)!!!

Now, in Europe, why would some bars BAN SWEDES...and just let them buckle the hoods of cars parked in the street...if they just have to do it NOW in public?

Quote:
Apres ski is pretty much what you can make it in Japan I suppose.
But it hardly seems to be encouraged. I've enjoyed some nights out in places like Hakuba, but when I was at Arai or Yuzawa it was just dead. Arai was just dead full stop. Yuzawa, we couldn't find anything apart from restaurants and expensive crappy karaoke bars

I got pretty pissed in a bar in the Yuzawa area. It was a small venue and at the bottom of a mini-resort (like one lift). don't know what the place was called but there were lots of non-Japanese people there. I remember a nice fire outside as well. That was probably the most busy 'resort' bar I have seen in Japan.

woywoy, what was that place called? (you were there with me, if you remember)

I agree with klingon though, Arai is beyond dead at night. It is almost spooky with all that facility yet so little life.

I am usually so tired that all I can do is have one beer then sleep. Nonetheless a little activity in the evening is nice and Japan seemed almost devoid of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by CheeseRipper:
Oyuki

A buddy and I are going to Whistler in March. I'm so stoked! \:D
Enjoy. I've never ridden there before myself, so i don't know what to expect except insane long runs, good snow, and thugged-out fasion victims rockin their ridiculous steez.

About Arai - there's just bollocks all to do there in the evening. When I was there there were a few restaurants open - but 4000 yen a head and not busy. (I wonder why?) Then there was some cocktail bar-type place (looked expensive too) overlooking the patio or whatever they call it. One couple in there. It was 9pm on a weekend. Empty restaurants and bars are not fun.

They need a nightclub or something. Something!

For me.....

theres nothing better than sitting in an outside onsen with the flakes coming down and keeping the beer cold in the snow shooting the shit with ya mates......god i will miss that when I leave.

its almost worth staying just for that!

my 2 cents worth

We also do the compulsory roll around in the snow between beers. - "As the snow flakes slowly make there way down to cool the lip of that perfectly brewed asahi can, I notice the formation of a pefect transition into a 1/4 pipe being naturally groomed to where my lips will taste that tantelising elixa and we all laugh jovially at our obsession". - Sorry ( memoirs of an evening in the Momonoki Hakuba onsen aka "I got drunk in an onsen")

Oyuki -- I'm headin' to Whistler in just a couple weeks (actually, 12 days). been checking snow reports, and looks pretty mediocre, especially compared to the last few years. Last 3 seasons November averaged nearly 150cm, but so far only 86cm...

all this when the best pow resort in North America, Alta, already has 450cm . mad.gif

After a quarter of school, I NEED my turns in some pow, and I NEED my apres ski beers.

I sure will miss the onsen, though. Perhaps my happiest moment was after gettin it in Gifu pow all morning then sitting in an hot, smelly onsen with big, fat flakes falling. \:D

Remember that, toqueboy?