Its a little different all over the place (except for the alcohol). What do you do where you'e from? Or where you're at, for that matter.

After a long day, i loved hitting a good ramen joint (there is a great one at the base of Arai, that has excellent Shoyu-ramen), hitting a small, local hot spring for a soak outdoors, and then tuck in with my girlfriend. The best is at Hakuba, where you can get a little mexican food, hit the onsen (the one with the orange-colored water, across the river. Yeah, some of you know what i'm talking about...), and then retire to a nuku-nuku futon at one of the many pensions.

But i am not in Japan anymore, i am vegetarian now and cannot eat ramen (unless someone knows a place that sells a vegetarian style-one), and my girlfriend of 5 years and i have broken up.

My apres-ski activities will now consist of a 45-min drive back from Whistler, making myself a meager meal of cup-of-soup, a shower and falling asleep to Mazzy Star. NOT IDEAL.

So i would like to hear about what everyone else doing, and perhaps live vicariously through you.

True, but we just broke up a couple of weeks ago after 5 and a half years of being together (4 of those living together). So no, i am not that stoked. i am not even excited about riding. I know it will change, but it will be a while.

I move to Squampton next week to start work as an instructor at whistler. I know riding in whistler is the dream for most peple (i have never ridden there before myself) but with the new vacuum in my life, its a little hard to for me to get excited.

So humor me, please.

Besides, after a long day of riding and cutting off skiers in one-piece outfits, the last thing i wanna do is make my own ramen (which is never as good as going into a greasy little place, cozying up at the counter, and smelling the white pepper you accidentally spill too much of into your piping-hot ramen anyways).

What do you do for apres-ski in Japan?

Go to bars and look for girls \:D

Both rarities in most places, but hey it certainly fills in the time from dark till morn.

The fun is in the searching for. It helps to not think about the reality that neither exist though.

Try it some day. You will either go crazy from the pain of this or you will just go plain crazy. Whichever way I figure you can't really lose much. Once you tip the scles to the crazy side there really isn't much point in grading the levels of crazy.

I'm going to tell you a little something that I have found in the past year and a half of being single after ending a major relationship

THE LADIES ARE NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE

And Whistler has a way better nightlife than pretty much all Japanese ski hills put together. Not to sure about Squamish but I'm sure there are some good bars where you can avoid the RedNecks.

Your going to have a blast. Blackcomb rules more than any of us can imagine.

thanks for the kind words. I'm not really one for hanging in clubs, but maybe i'll have to start. I know whistler gets some decent bands coming through to ride.

As for Japanese nightlife, i know there used to be a crazy bar in Hakuba called "Universe" that was pretty good. Anyone ever been to it?

O.K.,

I feel your pain (clinton lol.gif ) and went through the same thing with my ex of 4 years too at that point before I moved to Niseko. Trust me, as bummed as you are now, and I was, once you get to Whistler and are skiing your a$$ off in wicked powder and terrain, all that pain/stress goes away - well, it helps it quite a bit at least. It did for me. Nothing people can say to you will heal the pain, only time does that. But, I hope you get through it and in a positive way mate. Ganbare!! \:\)

As far as after skiing - theres nothing better than a konyoku onesen, some beers, great banter, and my mates. Did that maybe 2/3 days per week with my coworkers. There are so many awesome onsen near Niseko but you HAVE to have a car. One of my favs is Chise house about 20-30 mins away. Konyoku mud onsen turn out to be very interesting after several beers and drunk mates \:D ;\)

Forgot food: nikuman, ramen, nabe, oden, anything hot and good suits me.

Alright. So your not into the club scene. Bet there is a great peeler bar in Squamish clap.gif

That will take your mind off your breakup ;\)

Niseko seemed to have an alright nightlife. Fatties or Jam bar seemed to draw a good crowd. Metal heads and gaijin to Fatties and then cute girls to Jam bar.

I'm not really into the nightlife either most of the time in the winter. Would rather just rest up in front of the TV with friends and shoot the shit about whatever over a few beer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

I'm not really into the nightlife either most of the time in the winter. Would rather just rest up in front of the TV with friends and shoot the shit about whatever over a few beers.
Dittos - rather go to bed early and get up feeling fresh and ready for first traxs. I can get drunk anywhere/anytime, so I usually refrain from drinking lots of beer and partying on ski trips. Beers are essential after skiing but only in moderation for me.

Oh, i forgot one thing, after riding i love drinking AMAZAKE! Homemade stuff is way better than the canned, but the stuff that comes in a bag and you just add water isn't bad either. A trick i learned from a cookbok is to add a little fresh ginger juice, and it gived it a hot zing. I'm gonna pick up a case of the stuff when i roll through Vancouver!

Back in NZ we used to get a good pizza from Uncle Doms and a case for beers, sit around shooting the shit while geting coned out of our brains, then go to the pub. Things have changed alittle since I tied the knot. Now its a trip to Azekura Sanso for a private onsen with my wife and whoever we made turns with for the day, quiet beer in the onsen, then off for a feed of mexican or something, a few more beers then home to tuck into the sack and get recharged of the next day. I feel like Im getting older each year, hardly ever go out to bars or clubs anymore, I feel like a grandad with all the little whipper snappers running around my ankles when Im in a club.

Telleboy you could solve the club problem by walking around on your knees. That way you should be about the same height \:D Invest in knee pads though. In my experience the floor is a very hard, dirty and unforgiving place. Unless of course you are giving to it " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

It seems beer is a common post-snow element, no matter what the country. Here in Oz/Aust/DownUnder, where the snow is wet and the summits sit down around 2km ASL, most people kick back in their lodge with some beers, or walk into the village to one of the many bars/pubs/eateries. The night life is big enough to have some seriously late ones, but I prefer an earlier night for an earlier rise in the morning.

The closest thing you'll get to an Onsen is a hot-tub. But at least you can enjoy female company in a hot-tub since most occupants wear swimwear (unless it's a private hot-tub of course. speaking of which, can anyone recommend any private Onsen in Hakuba where couples can go? It seems strange travelling halfway around the world with my partner not to be able to even enjoy sitting in a hot-tub with her)

In oz we ride back to our place unclick reach our hands into a snow esky and crack a coldie. Sit down on the snow chairs we'd carved and have a good laugh about the day.Once your bum is frozen (2-3 beers) it's off to the sauna, shower, dinner table and then the pub. Next day same as the first.

Hakuba is similar except instead of snow chairs we have our beers in an onsen chair.

Sorry to hear about your split Dyuki, but once you do a few hand drags down Zhiggys meadow in 2 foot of pow I dear say you won't be thinking about anyone else but yourself.