Don't you just hate taxis here.

I have just come back from an unexpected meeting. I had to travel there and the firm that I was meeting paid for it, but I forgot to take any money with me (last minute). Anyway, coming back the firm gave me just about enough for the trip back (or we thought so anyway).

Anyway get in the taxi and tell them that I have xx yen and no more money and the guy was basically laughing in my face saying it will get me to about 1km from where I need to get. And he stopped at the side of the road 1km from my destination to let me out when the meter got to my money limit. He would not take me the further 1km. And to make it worse, he continued along the road - the road that would have taken me right to my destination, he actually went past my office I could see - with no-one in the car with him.

I thought that was just ridiculous.

mad.gif

I don`t think so. I find the taxi services here in Japan really good. They don`t take tips, they won`t cheat you with the change and they will not start driving in circles as soon as they figure out that you don`t know your way.

I think that you were just unlucky because the same thing happened to me also but I got the 1 Km free ride.

Actually the most amazing thing that happened to me in a taxi in Japan is this:

The taxi guy lost his way after some point because we entered in some small alleys searching for the house of my friend. So he apologizes, stops the clock, ask me to pay up to that point and then drove till he found my friend place for free!!! eek.gif

"and they will not start driving in circles as soon as they figure out that you don`t know your way"

Oh yes they will some of them....

And they shouldn't need tips with the outrageous charges they charge.

I think you were just lucky tsondaboy

I don`t disagree that some of them are bad, the same goes to every profession and not only the taxi drivers.

My point is that the service in general in Japan taxis is average better that other countries. Try for example to compare it to New York or London. Will it be cheaper that Tokyo or more polite?

Quote:
Try for example to compare it to New York or London. Will it be cheaper that Tokyo or more polite?
You're kidding, right? Don't know about New York, or even London, but in Liverpool:

About one fifth of the charge and about 5 times the politeness/friendliness.

Quite a difference don't you think.

In New York the average taxi driver you will find is the illegal alien Indian/Latin American type, that plays Indian music and might not even speak English. Sorry if I sound racist, but that is the way it is. I thought London was a bit expensive too, never been down to Liverpool.

The only real fault with Tokyo taxis is that the price of a taxi ride defies the law of demand/supply, they are just way too expensive. Other than that they are clean and usually pretty decent and harmless old people people. In London they are good at their job and annoyingly chatty (so were you from then guv, i'nit), but they are as expensive as Tokyo. In many other cities the taxi drivers are usually resentful smelly and rude pricks that couldn't get a better job. As with most crappy jobs in Japan, at least those that do them have a sense of self respect and pride, rather than being an inarticulate rude moron or a smelly immigrant who has been in the city for 1 month. Sounds rude of me doesn't it.

It amazes me that people can walk the bum-stinky, smoggy and CO clouded streets of Tokyo and then get in a surprisingly clean taxi just to complain about the lingering bitter smell of the drivers last ciggy. Reality check.

But getting dropped off up the road like that would have pissed me off as well.

That must have been very annoying. I don't have that much experience with taxis here, but when I have they seem to be generally friendly. Too expensive though - are they not allowed to set their own prices or something?

That would be really annoying pjem I can imagine you were pissed at that.

They seem to be fairly friendly round here, I know quite a few of them coz I was shipped around a lot at work.

But they are expensive.

Sorry P'Jem, but there's probably a taxi driver forum with a thread 11,678 replies long where that driver just posted something like,

"and sure enough, there was the Story...he FORGOT his money, and after his firm DIDN'T GIVE HIM ENOUGH to get home, this foreign person kept pressing me to give him a freebie...can you believe it? Do they think we are out here for the joy of driving strangers around town? There were plenty of empty seats in other cars on the road, why not ask THEM? I only give freebies if it's a hot gal or a blonde hostess..."

\:D

Sorry you didn't tet all the way back. If it balances some of this for you, my most recent taxi adventure was a guy who voluntarily shut off the meter about 2km before our apartment, because he thought our baby was cute and seemed to think it was important for international friendliness, because of Lennon marrying Ono, and because we made him laugh.

Hope you get this sweet gentleman next time, to restore your faith in the taxi business and humankind.

After midnight the variable 6-10km ride home costs me the equivalent of 4000-7000yen. In Tokyo a 6am, 25km ride home would cost me about 6000yen and often take 40 minutes. The most I ever paid to get a taxi home was 10,000 and that included dropping off two other people on the semi-direct route home and I charged it to my company anyway.

Keep in mind I am talking London black cabs here, not mini cabs.

I tried to book a black cab on the 27th of this month, 24 hours in advance. Because it was the holiday season they increased the booking fee from gbp2 to gbp25. That’s a 5000yen booking fee!!!

The cheapest I have ever done the 6km trip into town from my house on a direct free flowing major road at the cheapest time of day is gbp10, approx 2000yen.

I think London cabs are expensive. Black cabs charge a fixed fare of gbp50 into the city from Heathrow. If I pre-book a driver/car service (limo service with everyday family cars) they will charge me gbp25.

London trains are the greater ripoff. Travel from work to home, about 15minutes and 6 stations..... gbp2.20 one way!!! That's 440yen!!! You could get to the other side of Ichikawa from Shibuya fro that much!! London trains are a SCAM. And they shut on xmas day, not enough demand they say. Not sure how they know that, given they have not run an xmas day train since 1982.

That's my rant over.

I saw a good 4mm of heavy frost on boxing day. It lasted all day in the shade at the park. Fresh lines if you knew where to look.

Quote:
I tried to book a black cab on the 27th of this month, 24 hours in advance. Because it was the holiday season they increased the booking fee from gbp2 to gbp25. That’s a 5000yen booking fee!!!
that's insane!
 Quote:
Originally posted by giggsy:
One of the many penalties of living in London.....
Indeed, and there are MANY. I have typed long anti-London rants several times in the past and always decided not to post. I will continue with this discipline. Just let me suggest that reasonable people should never bother coming here (London). There is seriously no good reason, except for:

- ultra easy access to so many European countries and cultures
- the chance to visit the usually very attractive (although bland) and friendly-natured English country side, regional cities and centres.