Massive quake in SE Asia

Quote:
Question:
Can a class 9 happen in Japan?
Are there special conditions or whatever required for such a massive thing to happen?
Like the size of the fault or something....?
I will try to answer your questions simply without getting into details.

Theoretically yes, an event that big can occur in Japan. Actually in 1994 and 2003 we had 2 events 8.2 and 8.0 magnitude in Hokkaido. Last century 19~ there are 3 more events over 8.0 magnitude.

Usually these big events occur at active plate boundaries i.e plate subduction zones. If you don`t know it by now, Japan is sitting over an subduction zone and precisely speaking it was formed due to the subduction process. These events are called Megathrust events and occur due to sudden movement of great area of the subducting plate.

The fault size theoretically determines the maximum magnitude of an event. In the above mention case though the earthquake does not happen on a fault but at the interface were a plate subducts beneath another.

For more details about this earthquake you can check the site below.

USGS page

I hope I covered your questions. wave.gif
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we know.

An active plate boundary as I said before is usually a subduction zone, which is the place were a tectonic plate subducts beneath another. In northern Japan for example, we have mainly the Pacific plate subducting beneath the Eurasian plate.

A dormant or "passive" plate boundary is the area between 2 tectonic plates where both of them stand still. For example the east coast in the USA, which is the boundary between the North American plate and the Caribbean plate.

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
Up to 22000 now. I wonder how high that will go. \:\(
its 60000 and rising, holy crap! I will have to ake back my words.
I read that this quake had more power than all the earthquakes in the world combined for the past 3 years! combined! that is phenomanal!
9.0 is 10 times the power of a 8.0
100 times the power of a 7.0
1000 times the power of a 6.0

90 times more energy than the Kobe quake, think about, how much energy was unleashed in Kobe, 90 times more enery would have obliterated the city.

68,000 now and still counting. I knew that those original low counts would be doubled and doubled again.

My heart goes out to all those wonderful people that I have spent many great times with in the Telo & mentawai island chains off indonesia. Most of those would have wore the first waves and sounds like it would be a miracle if anyone survived.

My brothers boat up there would now be god knows where if still intact but thats very trivial compared with what the locals up there would be having to deal with right now.

When the wave hit that morning it would have been surfing time for most ( in Indonesia, Sri lanka etc) and could you just imagine for a minute sitting in the line up and seeing this thing coming? The day after tomorrow comes to mind.

Damn this is heavy.

Ocean, no doubt you would be pleased to know that your prospective employer has just pledged U.S.D1,000,000 to the American Red Cross to fund needed supplies, personnel to regions most affected by the catastrophe, including Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, the Maldives and Thailand.

Probably a tiny fraction of the sums they have extracted indirectly from those and similar areas over the years...

As usual, this natural disaster has been exacerbated by human development - resorts and shrimp farms along the coast that removes natural coastal barriers such as reefs and mangroves.

114,000! now this thing is escalating horrifically and "dubya" has finally spoken, seems he has put another coalition together to oversee the aid relief and donated $35million which was immediately labelled "stingy" by the press

Quote:
Asked if the US was adequately protected with tsunami early warning systems for residents of the West Coast, Alaska and Hawaii, Bush said he was asking government agencies to look into such things.

"I think that our location in the world is such that we may be less vulnerable than other parts," Bush said.

"But I am not a geologist, as you know."

yeah you have systems you dumbass and we know you are not a geologist just like we know you are not a politician.....

I think? you think??!! less vulnerable??? good grief :rolleyes: who voted in this A grade jackass?

Millions are dying and the worlds biggest hero slash crusader for liberty and freedom is showing his ignorance and pussyfooting around with piddly coalitions while the worlds largest humanitarian disaster of a generation is unfolding.

Quote:
The UN has for decades pushed for rich nations to give away 0.7 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) every year in development aid. The US gives 0.13 per cent of its GDP.
Norway is at 0.92

Quote:
Some called the Bush administration's early reaction to the disaster in Asia a missed opportunity to show leadership at a time when the US has been trying to build support for its "war on terror".

"I think politically they've done poorly,"

That says it all right there.

got a problem? lets make a coalition!

Ps I donated 10000yen to the emergency appeal today, its the least I could do, and the inaction of the world, disappoints me immensely.

It must be so unfathomably distressing to be in some of these places at the moment and not feel loved by the world while direly awaiting help thats too slow and too late, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and why not stop there? how about Darfur, hell I feel so helpless.

" title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
As usual, this natural disaster has been exacerbated by human development - resorts and shrimp farms along the coast that removes natural coastal barriers such as reefs and mangroves.
When you have waves that massive and powerful that went several kilometres inland, I honestly think those natural coastal barriers would have protected precious little.
There is one video on the news made by the Indonesian wedding party that shows the ferocity and power of those waves.

You have a point though about general erosion but in the context of those waves it loses all relevance.
 Quote:
Originally posted by cal:
they said on the news yesterday that the power was 1600 times that of the Kobe quake.

I know nothing of these things, just this is what NHK told me.
good point my memory of seismology is fuzzy, the 10 times number is 10 times the magnitude - the amplitude of the waves, but that doesnt equate to energy release, its all very confusing wakaranai.gif
going by the standard that a increase in 1 in magnitude is 31 times the energy release means that it was 800 - 900 times the energy of Kobe, 1600times? not sure

7.0 is the equivalent yield of 32million tons of TNT
8.0 is the equivalent of 1billion tons of TNT
9.0 is the equivalent of 32billion tons of TNT

nevertheless the toll is rising higher and higher - 130,000 and climbing
\:\(
I was just watching BBC world a reporter was in a town in Aceh that was deserted, far from help,they had walked in to get there and there were hundreds of bodies strewn or floating in the debris
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
114,000! now this thing is escalating horrifically and "dubya" has finally spoken, seems he has put another coalition together to oversee the aid relief and donated $35million which was immediately labelled "stingy" by the press

Quote:
Asked if the US was adequately protected with tsunami early warning systems for residents of the West Coast, Alaska and Hawaii, Bush said he was asking government agencies to look into such things.
"I think that our location in the world is such that we may be less vulnerable than other parts," Bush said.

"But I am not a geologist, as you know."
yeah you have systems you dumbass and we know you are not a geologist just like we know you are not a politician.....
I think? you think??!! less vulnerable??? good grief :rolleyes: who voted in this A grade jackass?

Millions are dying and the worlds biggest hero slash crusader for liberty and freedom is showing his ignorance and pussyfooting around with piddly coalitions while the worlds largest humanitarian disaster of a generation is unfolding.

Quote:
The UN has for decades pushed for rich nations to give away 0.7 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) every year in development aid. The US gives 0.13 per cent of its GDP.
Norway is at 0.92

Quote:
Some called the Bush administration's early reaction to the disaster in Asia a missed opportunity to show leadership at a time when the US has been trying to build support for its "war on terror".
"I think politically they've done poorly,"
That says it all right there.

got a problem? lets make a coalition!

Ps I donated 10000yen to the emergency appeal today, its the least I could do, and the inaction of the world, disappoints me immensely.
It must be so unfathomably distressing to be in some of these places at the moment and not feel loved by the world while direly awaiting help thats too slow and too late, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and why not stop there? how about Darfur, hell I feel so helpless.
" title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />
I gave a substantial amount yesterday.

So, the US is damned if you do, damned if you don't? Just realize the private donations coming out of the US will far exceed the total combined by most nations. Screw off for categorizing the US as uncaring (which is what you are essentially doing). Quit classifying it's citizens by the administration. If that were the case, we'd all hate France. Or God forbid, Tony 'the tiger' Blair.

don't agree with how Bush handled this just to let you know.

PS -

Yeah, where's Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan and all the other RICH, Muslim based countries when it comes to helping out there fellow man during this tragedy???

Of course the good ol' US of A can never do enough and is already being criticized for it's lack of help, actions or inactions...

And while Sri Lanka was willing to take goods from Israel, they turned down the 150 man team that Israel was planning to send to help in this matter.

Stole this from a friends email.