Massive quake in SE Asia

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Joshnii, I was referring to the shock in Niigata but not having seen the news I wasn’t exactly sure of the specific geography.

Actually, frannyo you apparently know where I am but it seems the temptation to be half-smart is too much to resist. If you want to keep making snide comments why don’t you make them in person, sniveling simp.

Quote:
Actually, frannyo you apparently know where I am but it seems the temptation to be half-smart is too much to resist. If you want to keep making snide comments why don’t you make them in person, sniveling simp.
lol.gif

Not a snide comment at all.

I forgot who you were (you obviously didn't make that much of an impression ;\) ), and I wasn't aware of any earthquake in Niigata yesterday.

As the massive earthquake today was at about 10am Japan time, it seemed reasonable to think you might be somewhere that was affected.

Don't be so sensitive.

wakaranai.gif

I thought the earthquake happened yesterday - so there goes my pretence of any reading comprehension. I'm trying to avoid the news as it's the usual 'looking back at the year that's been' bs and for added enjoyment Bush seems to be a feature among features.

Quote:
After hearing of the events, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said: "For all the huge advances in the control of our lives through science and technology an earthquake on this scale is truly humbling as well as profoundly tragic for everyone involved."
Now there is an intelligent observation. Thanks for the article link connackers, must be absolutely devastating for those effected.
 Quote:
Originally posted by bcoasis:
Now there is an intelligent observation. Thanks for the article link connackers, must be absolutely devastating for those effected.
Speaking of intelligence, unfortuneately the waves were so massive they reached 7000km to Africa, on the way they passed through/over the Reunion Is (near Madagascar)

"Thousands on the island, where meteorologists said water levels rose by one or two metres, ignored warnings and rushed to the coast to observe the wave phenomenon."
No there goes a distinct lack of intelligence, there is a fine line between inquisitiveness and stupidity.
In saying this though Christchurch NZ is populated with similar Darwinesque fools, many years ago there was a big pacific quake and Tsunami warnings were released - 100's of people charged down to the beach to check it out, thankfully the waves never eventuated, but you have to wonder about the thought processes of some people.
If there was an Avalanche would you ski towards it?
If there were pyroclastic flow eruption from a volcano would you drive your car towards it?
Why the hell would people go towards the danger?

Back to Asia, that was one humungus quake, in a way it is "fortunate" if you could apply such a word, the quake was in the ocean and not an land, 10000 people plus died from the waves, but that total would have paled to a death toll from a terrestial quake near a major populated zone.
This is the lesser of two evils, bitterly tragic nevertheless.
If this had epicentred near a city, then hell it would have been apocalyptic.

Quote:
An unheard of disaster.
Over 2000 people died in New Guinea in 1998.

In the 1960 Chilean Quake thousands died on the Chile/Peru coast as a 25m wave obliterated the coast - the waves of 10m hit Hilo, Hawaii 14hours later killing many and destroying the coastline.

1883 36000 in Indonesia were killed by waves set off by the Krakatoa eruption.

Sadly while the Pacific has decent Tsunami warning systems and Tsunami awareness( signs at the beach warning to run if the water suddenly recedes rapidly), the Bay of Bengal area where this series of Tsunami occurs has no real Tusnami warning system in place. Tragic.

heres a little Tsunami fact - the worst part of the tsunami is not the water rushing in, its apparently the water rushing back out that does the most serious damage.
You often see tsunami on the news go 500kph -thats in deep ocean water as they approach shallow water they slow down tremendously as the wavelength decreases and the height increases, by the time they hit they arent travelling at hyper speed and they surge onto land and thats why the water rushing back out is more devastating.

I'm interested in how much of that M9 force was felt in different places, as they seem to be talking very little about the earthquake itself.

You'd think a vid would appear sooner or later. Would be terrifying to see.

\:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo:
I have lived in Thailand for many years, and spent quite a lot of time in both Phuket and Phi Phi. It's all very sad. I have friends there too, just hoping they are ok.
Sorry to hear that scoob, I hope your buddies are safe, from the TV footage the waves in Thailand were not as devastating as Sri Lanka or Indonesia.

Actually, I am from Christchurch, Snowglider. I don't recall the incident you mentioned but it would certainly not surprise me. The kids that swallow the most marbles should not grow up to have children of their own in my opinion but clearly these laws of natural selection don't seem to be working properly. I was utterly convinced of this after spending a season working at MT Hutt, which is the main ski area near ch-ch.

I don't know whether my perception is a bit skewed here but it seems to me that a disproportionate amount of these disasters happen in less affluent/fortunate countries. As if a lot of these people don't have enough to contend with in their daily life???!!!

These 9 class kyodai jishin.

Scare the hell out of me. A 6 scared the hell out of me just a while back, I just cannot comprehend a 9.

Question:

Can a class 9 happen in Japan?

Are there special conditions or whatever required for such a massive thing to happen?

Like the size of the fault or something....?

Or could something that massive theoretically happen in Japan?