What car insurance do you have?

Until now I have had the one that the car company prepares for me (owned by a friend - so they're not intentionally ripping). But with all this American Home Direct and other ones doing their ads and things I was wondering if there was anything cheaper out there?

Any stories?

I've got sony sanpo. It was considerably cheaper than the garage arranged one. Around 100,000 for fully comp (over thirty, up to 11,000kms). on a delica spacegear. Includes just about everything including roadside assistance, negligible excess, even ski insurance if you drove to the hill.

Big car, Very comprehensive. I could get it for half that if I stripped it to the legal minimum, but for me, and the way things work here in Japan it's just not worth it. (Being without other insurance, I do appreciate the winter sports coverage somewhat.)

I'd be interested to know if I could get mine cheaper, or if it is worth shopping around (again). perhaps some context (coverage, car type, driver age, no claims period) would be useful when quoting a price. Third party for an old K-car is obviously going to be somewhat different to fully comp on a new Z4...as a rather obviously example. Even with my current insurance, altering the conditions greatly effects the price.

Hum...... Mine are expensive compared with you all.

One is 54,000 jp yen / year

Another is 100,000 jp yen /year

Paying too much?? Age ristriction is over 30 though. No limit payable if the driver killed anyone.

I am paying 8,000 a month for (almost) Full comprehensive insurance & a little less than 8000 for my other car. My mates car ( 93 RX7 costs about 30,000 because of the rotary)

Shop around, it definitely pays.

If anyone is on JET or employed through the local government some way look into insurance at your local town hall. There is a great deal you can get because you are employed by the city. Works out at just over 1man and is a prety good policy I think. Sorry no details as of yet but will try and dig something out.

It's also worth considering very carefully exactly what coverage you need. If you scrape your front bumper on a cement wall when parking your car, are you going to void your no claims bonus to get the 2 man insurance required to paint over the scrape, or are you going to either pay cash to fix it or live with the scrape? If you're going to live with it, you don't need it covered in your insurance. Also, if you have yet to total a car, you may not need to have that covered, especially if it's an old car anyway.

If you cover only 1st and 3rd party injury, it's a lot cheaper.