What would you say is the best intro to sushi? Got a friend coming over and he has never tried it, I'm not a fan so I don't really know. And a good starting point is...?

Hi I=I=I=I=I

The answer is Egg.

When I worked for a sushi restaurant when I was a uni student, the master told me that the best intro would be egg.

He surely told me the reason why but I can't remember it at the moment.

I've learned that maguro ( tuna ), salmon etc are okay for most people but sea urchin, salmon coe, sea beam etc are not always okay. Some really don't like them.

If he is from somewhere in a sea food culture, maybe you don't worry about it too much.

Have fun!

I've given this further thought and I'm convinced that starting with egg is a disastrous policy. So your friend likes bland, sickly egg sushi? Is that going to make him like delicious pungent uni that looks a lot like a poodle's second turd of the day? I don't think so.

Getting people started on sushi involves a test of will, and half measures don't work. The point is not to actually put the thing in your mouth - most people can bring themselves to do that. The point is to get to enjoy the experience. So start right away with those things that, while looking bizarre and somewhat repulsive, have the most rare and exciting flavours and textures. Keep at those until you really long to eat them.

Maguro and those meaty sort of things can also be a trap. It can be hard to go beyond them to the invertebrate species of sushi.

Avoid Kappa Sushi and all those chain shops that use lavish amounts of mayonnaise. They usually end up costing as much or more than a good, real sushi shop.

When you're in Osaka, try going to one of the sushi shops in Tenma Ichiba. You can get cheap and pleasant sushi. If you want to spend a lot and have really high quality sushi, try one of the shops in Kuromon Ichiba. Eating sushi in the middle of one of those markets gave me my one and only 'By Christ I'm in the Far East' moment.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming!

>>>Eating sushi in the middle of one of those markets gave me my one and only 'By Christ I'm in the Far East' moment.

Ocean11 - Why such a strong impression from that? Perhaps I should try it... \:\)

I don't know really. When you go and do temples 'n shrines in Nara or something you might be looking out (or on your guard) for that sort of feeling, but it just crept up on me as I was sitting there in the middle of the busy market, elbow to elbow with people with black hair. I'm afraid it can't be guaranteed to happen for you...

I wish I could remember the name of the particular shop we used to go to.