Do you have a favorite charity? There are so many, I think it is difficult to decide to which one giving things. I suppose it depends on your ideas and experiences maybe. I'm interested to know how people choosing which to support.

• 11 months later...

For quite a while I volunteered weekends at a charity homeless men's hostel. I have never given money to charity, prefer to give time and prefer to keep it within my community. I now kind of agree with Ocean11 that environmental charities and NPO's are deserving of the greatest charitable resources. I almost scored a weeknight volunteer role for a local London environmental/community NPO. But they were after a biology graduate who would work full time.... for free. I think that is a little ambitious.

Can't say I really rank charities, altho I guess I still distinguish unconditionally between NPO/NGO and trad charities.

Nouveau - FOE & Amnesty

Trad - Salvos - they're driven, but they more often than not work solely at the rag and bone level and DONT thrust their mission upon people.

I haven't given any money to charities for years! But i do tend to give random amounts of change to homeless people.

Is that bad? I'm in a dilemma now.

Next time I see a homeless person I'll have to explain that I can't give them any money as I have to give it to Friends of the Earth. I'm sure they'll understand.