Can you see 'Nihongo ' .com on your English operating system?

That's 'Nihongo' could be any kanji like

'Tokyo ' or 'suiminbusoku' lol... whatever.

Just wonder if your computer doesn't handle typing kanji in, what the point for us to have domain names of 'Nihongo'.com

XP can handle jp input, you just have to install it off the CD

ME,98,95 can handle it too, but you need to get IME from Microsoft.com

even win 3.11 can do it, but i doubt MS supports it anymore

with IME you can make nice word doc's too

All current browsers can display kanji, they are even supposed to detect the content of the pages, but it usually goes wrong. You can switch encoding in the "view" menu

don't know about mac

hope that answers your question

ATB

TP

..allmost forgot, western windows versions before XP could not handle kanji filenames, never found out how japanese DOS worked.

When i made bookmarks with kanjis in win98, backup and copy was a real problem.

Works smooth with XP though

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
..allmost forgot, western windows versions before XP could not handle kanji filenames, never found out how japanese DOS worked.
When i made bookmarks with kanjis in win98, backup and copy was a real problem.
Works smooth with XP though
Hi Thunderpants.
That's something what I wonder.
Though we share kanji, when I view some Chinese web site, some kanjis don't show up correct. I hear it's because of encode difference.
Even they show up correct, I don't think I can understand what they say completely lol.. It's another problem :p

So 'Nihongo'.com only works convenient to those who speak Japanes as mother tongue using computers on Japanese OS, I guess.

How about among western languages? For example
while you are on English OS, does some special letters like Danish 'O slash' ( like one for KO/benhavn ) show up correct ?
My computers which are all on Japanese OS have
problems with special letters like Danish 'O slash', German umlaut, French cedille(spelling not sure, C with ','), Italian back accent etc.
When they are used, they show up like strange kanji in my monitor. eek.gif

viv&kev, I don't think many do.

If I remember right, that was about 5 years ago when 'Nihongo'.com got available but has not widespreaded yet.

And a Kanji and a Hiragana are 2 byte characters, an English alphabet is usually 1 byte character. So when we type Kanji, Hiragana and English alphabet together with in a line, we need to switch the mode for it - Zenkaku( for 2 byte letters )/hankaku (for 1 byte letters) key.

I am not sure English computers have it or not, guess probably no.

When we need to switch the key each and every time on typing some, it's really annoying \:\(

Perhaps that may be one of reason why it has not widespreaded - just my opinion though.

You never need a Japanese OS, you can do it all from a ENG OS - maybe unless you are doing stuff in the DOS prompt.

Just install japanese fonts, set it to the default language and you're sorted.

Yeah me jane, but my problem is I don't understand Chinesre completely. I can understand approx. meanings coz it's all kanjis though. But need much more time and not confident.

Bobby12, it doesn't mean you are switching from ENG OS to JPN OS, right? You just take JPN encode?

Grrrrrr...