• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Bourne Supremacy tonight. Better than Ocean 12 but doesn't compete with the first one. The director seemed to have a peculiar fetish with blurry scenes.

I Wanna see Aviator and Ray. Anyone seen????

Seem Aviator, I liked it.

Would like to see Closer.

Not too keen on the idea of Ray though, I think I'll give it a miss.

Yeah, Christan Bale played lead in 'The Machinist'. As those who have seen it can attest, the guy ate practically nothing for nearly a month to lose the weight requried to play this insomniac character.

He obviously put it back on pretty easily before 'Batman Begins' started shooting.

What is it about 'Ray' that makes you not want to see it Rach?

Oceans 12 = completely self-indulgent crud

Open Water (OK I know its not so new anymore but I saw it last night on DVD) = total rubbish

Sideways = half decent, if a bit of a steal of Swingers and The Big Lebowski (which makes it sound much better than it actually is). Watch it if you are over 35.

Oooh don't get too excited about world of the worlds. Apparently it is not set in Victorian times, but rather is set in the modern day. That should guarentee a complete cock-up of the original story line. I mean what will the Thunderchild be now, the USS Abraham Lincon? Also the rumour is that none of the original soundtrack will be used either and that Tom Cruise will be playing a leading part. Now any of you who have had the distinct pleasure of listening to the original album (and looking at the great artwork) will agree with me that soundtrack is brilliant, and integral to the whole WotW experience. Spewburg needs a red-hot poker up the arse for those hair-brained decisions. lol

de-do de-do de-do, beew beew, beew beew

It's not a rumour that Tom Cruise is playing a leasing part (it's a well known fact), and - unless I am wrong of course - the 'original soundtrack' for the films is not the one many people probably think it is (complete with your 'artwork').

Perhaps we could give it a chance and just bash it once it's out. (Unless you've already made up your mind of course.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:

I Wanna see Aviator
USA 14 December 2004 (premiere)
USA 17 December 2004
UK 19 December 2004 (London) (premiere)
Canada 25 December 2004
USA 25 December 2004
UK 26 December 2004 (London)
Malaysia 30 December 2004
South Korea 31 December 2004
UK 6 January 2005
Singapore 13 January 2005
Thailand 13 January 2005
Spain 14 January 2005
Bahrain 19 January 2005
Austria 20 January 2005
Germany 20 January 2005
Netherlands 20 January 2005
Switzerland 20 January 2005
Greece 21 January 2005
Sweden 21 January 2005
Belgium 26 January 2005
France 26 January 2005
Indonesia 26 January 2005
Kuwait 26 January 2005
United Arab Emirates 26 January 2005
Israel 27 January 2005
Denmark 28 January 2005
Finland 28 January 2005
Iceland 28 January 2005
Italy 28 January 2005
Mexico 28 January 2005
Norway 28 January 2005
Portugal 3 February 2005
Russia 3 February 2005
Argentina 9 February 2005 (Buenos Aires)
Australia 10 February 2005
Czech Republic 10 February 2005
Brazil 11 February 2005
Bulgaria 11 February 2005
Chile 17 February 2005
Croatia 17 February 2005 (limited)
Hong Kong 17 February 2005
India 18 February 2005
Panama 18 February 2005
Poland 18 February 2005
Turkey 18 February 2005
Venezuela 18 February 2005
Egypt 23 February 2005
Philippines 23 February 2005
Argentina 24 February 2005
Croatia 24 February 2005
Hungary 24 February 2005
Estonia 25 February 2005
Japan 26 March 2005

March 26!!!!!! WTF??! I cant really understand why Harry pothead and Spiderman 2 are are close to the release day of the States but something like the aviator is ONE FULL MONTH after the second to last country in the world to get the movie!
Aswell as being the MOST expensive place in the world to watch movies (its official I read it National Geographic of all places) its also the worst place to see some excellent movies in a timely manner! ...shrug shoulders....

How did you see it Rach, bittorrent a copy? elcheapo DVD from Bali? or did you see it in another country?
 Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
It's not a rumour that Tom Cruise is playing a leasing part (it's a well known fact), and - unless I am wrong of course - the 'original soundtrack' for the films is not the one many people probably think it is (complete with your 'artwork').

Perhaps we could give it a chance and just bash it once it's out. (Unless you've already made up your mind of course.)
What is your point Mr Nitpicker? What I was saying is that there was a brilliant (IMHO) soundtrack (70's one) already made for the story which should be the basis for the soundtrack for this movie, and as far as I know it isn't. HG wells great story has been dragged kicking and screaming into present day thereby trashing the majority of ambience the story had (i.e huge 100 foot machines with heat rays arriving when the best technology humans had were cannons and steamships seems a bit more intimidating when strategic nuclear weapons aren't an option yeah?). Do you see my point? Listening to the album and reading the book was a great childhood memory for me, and it seems the modern incarnation won't pay the original the respect it deserves, for the sake of making a few bucks. Add to this the fact that Tom Cruise is a shit actor and Speilburg directs with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer (again IMHO) then the rout is complete. That sound you are hearing is HG Wells turning in his grave.

So yeah, I have made up my mind, righly or wrongly, and am giving it a bash and having fun doing it. I guess it's no big thing and this will be my last whinge on the matter otherwise I may be mistaken for a pom ;\)

I agree Dims, after looking at the preview and reading a bit I think the only thing it has in common with the original is the title. Whether it is a good movie or not is another story, but why bastardize a good story?

haha, just having a bit of a laugh.

But anyway I think you answered the point with your next to last sentence. Then finished it off with a great last one, nice touch ;\)

\:D

It will be interesting to see how it turns out though. I'm just going to avoid any hype and just go watch it - I'll let you know!

Well I'm holding out and hoping for something good. Just been reading this

>

On October 20, 1938, Orson Welles broadcasted a dramatic radio adaptation of H.G. Well's original War of the Worlds story. The adaptation was so convincing that hundreds of thousands of Americans were deceived by it. Announcements before, during and after the broadcast failed to shatter the illusion created by the drama--that Martian Invaders were upon the nation.

Now, some 67 years later, Paramount Pictures is hoping to possibly capitalize on doing something a bit similar--on a much smaller scale (or so, they hope). Several Internet blogs (online journals) have posted accounts of weird and mysterious 'advertisements' that have been popping up around New York City's Subway system. The blogs, some written by passengers on the subway cars, have reported that these ads are turning up in very unconventional ways. The advertisements apparently portray a flock of crows silhouetted against a dark red sky, migrating as if sensing an impending invasion to our planet (one could draw parallels to the behaviors of animals hours before the first wave of Tsunamis hit Phuket two months ago). Just below the birds, we see a dark golden Latin caption “Omnium Finis Imminet” which translates to “The End of All Things Is Near” in English. For about a week, no one knew where these ads came from and why they were put there. They were flashed on NBC between shows like Law & Order and many people speculated that the ads were for an upcoming apocalyptic NBC series called Revelations starring Bill Pullman. The fad carried on and people began to find the “Omnium Finis Imminet” phrase scrawled in chalk on sidewalks, trashcan bins and cement walls.

Finally, on the morning of March 5, the New York Times broke the story and mentioned the curious ads in one of their articles about a new form of guerrilla marketing that seems to be catching on with some film studios. Apparently HBO did something similar a few weeks earlier for their popular Deadwood series by covering the interior of three subway cars with plastic wrap promoting the series. The cost? A cool $100,000. Shortly after, Paramount decided to do the same by coughing up $50,000 to write “Omnium Finis Imminet” in various crevices throughout the terminal.

omnium-finis.jpg

Well I'm hoping for something good as well, but I think I may be disappointed. I will try to keep an open mind though.

However trick guerrilla ad campains do not a good movie make. Lets hope it is not a sign of desperation after the execs saw the final cut.

Tell you what, if this movie turns out to be a cracker then I will do a naked Niseko Nighta run from the Hirafu gondola to the KFC, and everyone can laugh at my skinny legs and how small my willy becomes........and beat me on the arse with sasa grass. There I have said it, no going back now clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...