Tea, dinner, evening meal

No probs dude. I guess I am missing home a little. here is a bit of song I forgot to post.....

Quote:
The block is awkward - it faces west,

Long diagonals, and sloping too.

And in the distance, through the heat haze,

In convoys of silence the cattle graze.

That certain texture, that certain beat,

Brings forth the night time heat.

Out on the patio we'd sit,

And the humidity we'd breathe,

We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields

Laugh and think that this is Australia.

ps - I caught the burnoff near that strip of coast as well. I was heading south after a CLASSIC couple of days at Kirra on the Gold Coast (where the evening meal is called tea). Perfect surf, absolutely perfect. It was stinking hot, I had my dog and my boards in the car and they were burning cane down the coast. 10 Hours later I pulled into Sydney where they call in dinner.

I have to agree that the spirit of Oz is very connected to the Land. I think only suburbia for the suburbites - but lots of people live in the country or country towns. Maybe for me Russell Drysdale's and Arthur Streeton's paintings show some of that essense, albiet they didn't live in modern times. 'Sofala' by Russell Drysdale always gets me. It's just sooooo Australia. Maybe Jeffrey Smart captures citiscapes, with his painting of the Cahill Expressway.

Sakebomb - to be honest, when I first heard 'Oz', I thought that person talked about Wizard of Oz lol

Voidhawk - yeah, especially youngers around their 20 y/o tend to say that together with

'Mandi' for Monday etc. So younger Ozzie boys are

all tease for me

> but a much shallower culture

It's only 200 years old dude, go easy.

And yes, the Austrlian Press is pretty bad, largely due to the two people running it - one of whom is responsible for US's 'fair & balanced' Fox News.

Quote:
Originally posted by an Australian (albeit not a typical one):
Correct, Australia does not have culture, but it does most certainly have an exact spirit and rhythm and identity.

England and culture? I won't stand for that, it is bullshit.
I suppose Australia must have some deep cultural tradition that the rest of the world and the Australian I have quoted are missing. Your "wanker" comment simply suggests that Australians are impervious to criticism from non-Australians.

As for the "savages" comment, I'll just say that Australia would be better off if its people didn't dismiss the cultural contribution of the people who were there more than "200 years" ago. People who are well versed in bushcraft and have one of the world's most incredible musical instruments....

As for modern Australia, John Pilger, a journalist who writes frequently about Australia, and Helen Caldicott, the world's leading anti-nuclear protester, are two of my biggest heroes.

I like John Pilger a lot. I saw his doco Frontline some years ago and I trust what he writes.

Yeh, we really screwed it with what we did to the indigenous people in Oz. It's really sad. And the glorious PM in Oz is taking things further back into the dark ages with his policies.

I wholeheartedly agree that the natural inhabitants of Australia have been completely screwed over. When I say our culture is only 200 years old, I say it with a touch of cynicism since to most people there's practically no evidence of the Aborigines existence from outside Australia (except to promote tourism), which is indeed a sad thing.

All you really see is what's evolved after nearly a dozen british ships ventured over here to start a colony.

And you're right Sunrise, our PM is totally out of touch with current times.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
I suppose Australia must have some deep cultural tradition that the rest of the world and the Australian I have quoted are missing.

As for the "savages" comment, I'll just say that Australia would be better off if its people didn't dismiss the cultural contribution of the people who were there more than "200 years" ago. People who are well versed in bushcraft and have one of the world's most incredible musical instruments....

[/QB]
Wiggles, make up your mind mate!
In your first line you sarcastically imply that Australia is devoid of culture, then in your next breath you contradict youself by bringing up Australia's indigenous culture.

And anyway, my use of the word "savages" was in no way a reference to aboriginal people. I was mimicing the condescending tone of your original post and refering to your image of Australians in general to be lacking culture.

Australians are not impervious to criticism from others. Most Australians will admit to their failings when the criticsim is based on fact and well intended. But if you're just being a wanker, we'll tell you pretty quickly. Nobody likes having their culture insulted.

As for the other stuff said, I agree Australia does definitely need to pull it's nose out of America's arse.