Yappari... It's windy and warm in Tokyo today.

Spring has come!! \:\) \:\)

I'm very productive this morning, I feel like I come out of hibernation. There is a good smell coming from a cake baking in the oven... \:D

Is it windy and warm everywhere in Japan today?

what? Its just taday babe! Tomorrow its gonna be cold again. Dont get your hopes up and please dont ruin my winter ;\)

I can still wait for Spring as I wanna ski some more! Hopefully can go this weekend but it all depends on whether I can make my two exams by Thursday or not; plus I have to go to immigration that day too... Fattwins, still dunno bout this weekend mate... call ya later.

I know, it'll be cold again. I just enjoy feel of spring here today. I'm really looking forward to spring! Taking catnap on the lift in the warm sunshine is so nice. \:\)

I'll bring the cake to the office for teatime with my friends. Sorry, Yama... I can send you a picture again, if you want. ;\)

Yeah its pretty warm and blustery here in Narita too. Haru Ichiban arrived in force. I have heard though that this has a bit of a tradgic history to it because of the fishermen that lost their lives in the strong winds a long time ago in March in Nagasaki. True?

Not to put a dampner on your productivity though Slow, and carry on with those cakes!

Windy but not that warm here!

fukdane - haruichiban is a phenomenon that yellow sand around the Yellow River valley in China is brought all the way to Japan by strong wind in early spring. Haruichiban is a phenomenon to tell us that spring has come.

When it comes to Japan, you see everything around misty while the yellow sand is flirting around. Mountain tops around my area would get a bit ocher for a while.

This is Haruichiban. Gotcha?

Mebbi the weather there around Hakodate was just drunk or hangover for today :p

Nah Sakebomb, the poster says something like

a fire fighter in early spring. I'm sure that one is incorrect for this thread!

When a low pressure system passes with strong gradient level winds that are perpendicular to the mountain range, the winds on the leeward side of the range are forced downward and air particles are heated (adiabatic heating), this heating also dries the atmosphere which gives us a nice sunny day, the entire Kanto plain area feels the effect of warmer temperatures solely because of the forced heated air particles, and i guess slightly because of the sun although in winter the angle isnt enough to boost temps up as high as they were today.

If you are wondering why it can be so calm in the morning and suddenly begin to gust in the afternoon... this is because of a radiation inversion that occurs overnight; if its clear outside, the surface heat is allowed to "radiate" back out into the atmosphere thus causing the surface to cool rapidly becoming cooler than the air above it and developing a bubble of sorts up to the altitude where the inversion stops (where the atmosphere starts a cooling trend again the further up you go). This bubble keeps the strong winds from reaching the surface until daytime heating heats the surface to the equivalent of the temperature at the top of the inversion, when this happens the inversion breaks and the strong winds are able to reach the surface and give us the good gail force winds.

So in a way today was a false sense of spring because we have not begun to really see the spring/summer pattern yet.

I will now take questions if you have them \:\)

Yes, usually the tight pressure gradient only lasts about a day as the low moves out, but if the low bombs (becomes incredibly strong) then it will slow down and it could last a couple of days, so dont expect nearly as much warmth today ;\)