I wondering if not religious people also celebrate Easter holiday?

I saw documentary about it and about people buying chocolate egg etc on television to give to children etc.

Suckers, while I was living in Australia it was just a holiday, the easter egg thing was just for children. It has some symbolism which most people (including me ) probably don't even know. More of a marketing ploy from the chocolate companies these days. ;\)

• 11 months later...

We celebrate Easter in Greece. For the Orthodox Church it is the most significant celebration, more important than Christmas. We don’t have the “chocolate egg” thing or the “Easter bunny” character, but usually each family paints real eggs red for Easter.

During my school years easter was as big, if not bigger than Xmas, to me being catholic.

Our family weren't "good" catholics and we didn't really do anything religious besides go camping and looking for easter eggs that the easter bunny had stashed.

Quote:
Originally posted by oblivion:
Something to celebrate indeed!

How do you actually 'celebrate Easter' nicole? (apart from eating lots of choco)
Well we (immediate family) just get together and have lunch and exchange easter eggs/gifts. It's pretty low key and is really just an excuse to all get together and eat until we can eat no more \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Speaking of easter eggs... Cadbury Creme Eggs are like the best freakin' thing ever.

I hope the bunny brings me a couple ;\)
You need to see more of the worlds simple chocolate offerings.

Have you ever been to Belgium or Switzerland and bought the chocolate on sale in freeway petrol stations? How about eaten Japanese scorched almonds sold on train platforms??

Cream Egg???? Like O11 I would be physically ill if I attempted to eat one. You can't get much worse than they are. Cadbury chocolate is almost not real chocolate.

Well, since it used to be real eggs as per Tsonda's culture, where did the rabbit come from and why did the eggs become chocolate? And what's that got to do with a guy coming back from the dead?

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
Well, since it used to be real eggs as per Tsonda's culture, where did the rabbit come from and why did the eggs become chocolate? And what's that got to do with a guy coming back from the dead?
Trying to remember back to Sunday School, but I think that the eggs are to represent the big rocks that were pushed infront of the cave jesus was entrapped in. Might be wrong, but think that is what I remember!
Also think Easter actually originally comes from a really old festival of celebrating the arrival of spring and the easter bunny comes from there as a symbol of Spring. I think?!?

Anyone still give things up for lent? I don`t anymore but remeber trying to go without sweets as a kid for the lent period and then having a massive feast of them on Easter Sunday!!

I prefer the hot cross buns that we have on the run up to easter over the Lent period and palm Sunday!! Used to LOVE those things hot with a massive dollop of butter in them!!!!

they are tremendous. the icecream is sensational too.

have you tried the 'nama' chocolate in japan? its awesome! especially the stuff i bought in hokkaido (as an omiage).

those thin bars of meiji chocolate remind me heaps of the hollow easter eggs from back home.

They are supposed to represent the resurrection of Christ. Doing a search in the internet will give you many different interest versions of the origin of this custom, but most of them are connected to new life or resurrection.