Hey its about time I want to buy a new desktop and I was taking a look in the electric shop today and a bit overwhelmed with words I'd never heard before. Not had a new desktop for about 5 years!

So. Maybe someone here can help out with ideas. If you had 300,000 yen to splash on an as-sexy-as-possible desktop, what would you go for? I took a quick look at Dells site, and they seem to offer more power for the same money than the systems on the shelves. Is that right?

This Dell looks pretty good

http://jpstore.dell.com/store/newstore/dhs/dhs_catalog_280.asp

but not sure how to juggle the cpu/memory/hard disc to be the best for my budget.

Looking forward to some help. Thanks! \:D

I am about to upgrade to a new G5 iMac

Top the memory up to 1gb, get an airmac extreme for your itunes etc and you will be laughing.

Of course this being a mac isn't for everyone, but you would have about 80,000 change from 300,000 if you bought it from Kakaku.com ( they are 190,000 at the mo')

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Raspberry Blower:
Thanks, but it's a PC I'm after.
Well you did say that you were looking for something sexy...
100% perfect response. clap.gif

Dell usually have good offers on - the current one on the powerful xps series is 15% off, a fair chunk of cash on 300,000.... I'm not sure if there are similar special offers always on, but it says this one is until tomorrow.

Oh my......if you're gonna spend that kinda cash and are at least semi computer literate I would suggest building your own. With that kinda money you could have a desktop that would kick ass of any Dell machine that you could buy. Plus you would have a more intimate knowledge of your computer that certainly helpsd if something goes wrong.

Trust me it isnt that difficult. I have never had any formal training in computers but I built my own computer from scratch and have since built several more for friends. Its the way to go

That might be a fine idea for some people, but not me.

I'm not very computer literate at all, I'm rushed off my feet with really no spare time and computer problems (when they happen) make me want to kill people at random.

So messing around with making one from scratch sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.

I would rather pay a bit more for one to be made for me.

Ah! But if you made your own you would not be able to have those 8 nice lights on the front of the tower.

xps4_color_314.jpg

Actually I'm interested in doing a make your own, where do you buy all the gear? And good simple online resources you could show us?

Cheers.

In fact its very easy to do. Like I said I had no prior knowledge of how to do it beforehand and it works a treat.

As for lights you can do that and more to your case..modding is the in thing...kinda like doing up the car ala Need for Speed Underground.

Online resources there are many. For buying gear Akihabara of course has the biggest range/best bargains to be found, but any electronics store (such as yodobashi) should have what you need.

There are a few online places where you can check around for prices. I use this website mainly

web page

or you could try

web page

a lot of stores actually have a C.O.D. system if you live a little way out of the city.

if you want anymore info on how to put one together just give me a yell.

I recommend spending a whole lot less than 300,000, probably less than half in fact, and not waiting five years to replace your machine. The sweet spot for price:performance is nowhere near the top. I'm assuming here that if you can wait five years between computers, you're not someone that needs great processing power or a huge memory.

If I was going to spend that much, I'd get studio-class monitor speakers, maybe 80,000 a pair, a huge screen, maybe 100,000, and a standard box with a nice video and sound card and a good keyboard and mouse. I don't really care about GHz or GB. They'll soon be superceded.

I reckon a sub-100,000 yen desktop is enough for most people. You can buy lots of other cool stuff with the remainder. A 200,000 audiophile stereo, a digital SLR and extra lenses, a whole set of top-notch winter gear with custom boot liners and bc gear, a serious mountain or road bike, some diving off Iriomote or somewhere, you know, whatever takes your fancy.

I'm one of those who would get a migraine just thinking about putting my own pc together. I'd just rather pay a bit more and get one sent to me ready to use. Whatever, you are sure better going with Dell and the like than going to your local electric shop that will give you on the shelf ones for more. For the same price you'll get more, esp. when they have one of their offers on.

I think. Maybe. \:\)

Try these:

http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/index.html

http://www.mysuperpc.com/

My current home PC is about 5 years old and a well known brand - but then, it was top of the range back then so is still okay.

The eventual replacement one will be custom built by moi - not really 'puter literate but simple enough ... you just need to ensure that each component is compatible with all others.

recommendations from websites such as Toms hardware are a good indicator of whats on offer

Toms Hardware Guide

for cpus the best value for money is usually found 2 or 3 levels from the top on offer (excluding the uber-expensive special models). Of course the main options are AMD and Intel and it basically comes down to what you want to do with your computer. The AMD is best for games generally and Intel for business applications.

In short choose one that suits your needs. Dont go for the fastest there is.

Hard drives, on the other hand, I always recommend getting as big a one as you can afford. the 250gb versions are currently the best value in that area.

if you want I can whip up a list of suitable components as an example. just lemme know what you want to use it for \:\)