While there's a lot of talk about PCs etc....

I was bought one afew years back as a present and I've hardly used it. I'm sure if you&re an artist or do lots of creative stuff they are a great thing to have.

Anyone want mine by the way?

Yeah, I use one for everything. Not so handy for mainly wordpro stuff, (unless you're good at typing with yer pen in yer hand), but for graphics... indispensible. (got the intuos 2 and 3)

Yes, I can't live without it. I use it as a mouse replacement - actually for the mouse replacement I go between the tablet and a trackball. Also great in digital audio programs for moving faders and sliders about. But some people just don't feel comfortable on them.

Hey miteyak, I have a tiny intuos1 (good when on the road), and got a refurished 9x12 intuos2. I got a stroke pen for the intuos 2, which I use for all painting stuff (including making layer masks). I was thinking that if I ever upgrade to the intuos 3 that maybe I'd want to buy a separate pen and keep the strokepen nib in there. I'm often switching back a lot between the regular pen and the stroke pen, and I couldn't imagine the idea of having to change nibs each time instead. Since you have the i3, what do you think about that? Do you use the other nibs much? How's the new gizmos on the tablet itself? I figured for my uses it probably wasn't worth upgrading right now.

I'd also love to get a Cintiq, but can't justify the cost.

Looks like I was lying, Sunrise... I have the 1 and 2, 9x12's the both of them, the 1 at work and the 2 at home. How are the little one's? Thinking about getting one to slip in with the powerbook, but they look, well, awfully small...

For those weighing up the pro's and cons, consider this... can ya put a mouse behind your ear?

I have a 2, it's really cool I like it. I don't do that much with it, but it comes in useful every now and again. I make all my own cards and things now. Never heard of Cintiq, is that another level up?

HI miteyak,

Well, I guess having a small one while you're out and about is better than not having one at all ;\) I've seen folks recommending the 6x8 as a good size for a basic 1 monitor tablet setup. I'm using the 9x12 on 2 monitors. My 4x5 is definitely too small for that, but it's absolutely fine for my needs on a 15" powerbook on the road. I guess it depends on what you're doing on it when you're away from your larger setup. But hey, you can pick used small ones up very very cheap - espcially the first version, probably just a few thousand yen. So, it's not like you'll lose a fortune if you decide you don't like it so much.

If you have other pens besides the regular one it's probably best to get the version (1, 2 or 3) that's the same as what you're using so you can use your pens with it.

So you haven't used a stroke pen then. If you paint at all you'll find it's like heaven - has a small spring in it which feels much closer to a real paintbrush than the regular pen which has no give.

Veronica: This will tell you all about Cintiq.

Hi bong,

Yes, I have a dual monitor setup for my computer. Actually I have a Mac powerbook/laptop, so I use the monitor on that, and when I'm at home I plug in a 20 inch montor as well.

That's the airbrush. I have that too, but find it hard to use, so it just sits there feeling neglected. I've never used a real airbrush, so perhaps it just takes some getting used to, which I've not put a lot of energy into at this point.

Stroke Pen:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/products/intuos2/stroke_pen.asp

Note there's no eraser or duo switch like in the other pens. If you paint at all (or do lots of low opacity layer masks), once you try one you'll never go back.

This may be a daft question, but do these pens allow you to write words into word processing software like Word and it know what you've written? (so replacing typing)?