• SnowJapan Moderator

Not sure ug - we were just wondering that too....

(It has been deleted now, but for those of you wondering what is happening, rahul posted exactly the same thing for the 4th time just a few moments ago)

We've given rahul a cooling off period! \:\)

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call snow in Tokyo on the 20th a natural disaster. In fact it's been very beautiful, I had a nice time out with my camera. A few flights cancelled, trains delayed early on, nothing any different to a passing typhoon, plus some people hurting themselves cos they were walking around in the wrong shoes doesn't mount up to me as a natural disaster. I appreciate Rahul is working hard to improve his predictions, but his prediction indicated a snow disaster on the 20th. (Actually, it didn't start snowing until the 21st, in the very early morning.)

SJ guys, I'm not sure if Rahul reads all the posts in this thread, so he may not have seen what you wrote.

Anyway, my prediction is for a great weekend next weekend at the SJ party in Hakuba.

• SnowJapan Moderator

sunrise - the same post went up 4 times during the day, and as well as posting on here we did email him twice (without a response) --- there is not much more we can do if we want to avoid, er, flooding \:\)

We're sure he'll be back fairly soon!

Yes I think we are far from having a "disaster". I made a small snowwoman today. She had

- a carrot for a nose;

- 2 manju for her eyes;

- a bunch of Pockys for her admittedly strange nose;

- 2 meron-pan for her chest

She was very pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically you don’t get many aftershocks from this kind of events for 2 reasons.

The event was pretty deep 110 km. At that depth the earth’s mantle behaves more in a plastic way rather than in a brittle sense. So basically only big movements are allowed and all the stress built up is released at once. The plastic behaviour of the mantle doesn’t permit smaller movements. Also even if there are a number of smaller aftershocks they are attenuated by the 100+ km of the earths mantle/crust lying above, so it is almost impossible to record them.

• SnowJapan Admin

Felt that here in Yuzawa even though it was nowhere near us (off the east coast of Ibaraki?)

The room was swaying a bit and I thought to myself "was that an earthquake?", then didn't really think much more of it..... until this thread made an appearance at the top of the list and I check out the quake website and sure enough it was. Even though nothing was registered for Yuzawa.

After the Chuetsu I think I have ultra- sensitive powers about these things, unfortunately \:\(

While everyone's paying attention, I have a question for tsondaboy.

These are two seismograms from different sites in Kobe, from the 1995 earthquake. The site for the left hand seismogram was on solid rock, and right hand seismogram from a site in a sedimentary basin.

strongmotion3iw.gif

Clearly in a basin of saturated sediment, the intensity and duration of the event is much greater. I have seen this referred to as "amplification". Is this genuinely the case? The only mechanism I can see for "amplification" is if the P waves are reflecting back and forth off the margins of the basin, and you are getting constructive and destructive interference.

Anyone?