Graduation from shogakko (q to Japanese peeps)

So theres lots of graduation ceremonies going on at shogakko this week. At my school back home we had hardly anything to "celebrate graduation". They really go for it here, it's like graduating from college or something!! Nice I suppose.

Japanese peeps on here, good strong memories of sotsugyo?

I don't have any \:\(

I remember it was such big event for me. We practice for ceremony many time and many people crying including teacher. I have good memory of it.

Do you not have like this in your country?

I don't think I graduated from elementary school. I think the teachers just said bye and good luck or something like that.

There are big ceremonies for these kids in Japan then?

We had a graduation ceremony when we finished Primary school I think. Wasn't anything like here where they spend weeks and week practising though. Lot of wasted time at school here, grad ceremony, school festival etc.

My niece is graduating Hoikuen today (kindy) and had to buy nice clothes for the thing because they don't wear uniforms!

Then there is the presents that you have to buy for graduation etc.. bit of a joke really.

I was working part-time at a flower shop when we graduated from highschool and I planed to give our techer thank-you flowers. I coudln't believe that he burst into tears! He said sorry because he couldn't do anyhing for us as a teacher. Our teachers in highschool were very fun people. Funky teachers are so cool!

Its not surprising there are so many tears - the teachers in this country are almost parents to the kids.... way too much responsibility if you ask me (well, from what I've seen anyway).

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Do you think the teachers can really put out true tears for such an events or are they really 'giri-tears'?
It will depending on person and situation of course but some (many?) are definitely true tears I am sure of that.