Keeping in touch with old friends

Maybe not the best time to post a new thread late on Friday, but here goes anyway.

I have been getting back in touch with a few old friends back home (from college and even further back school) the last year or so and found it really interesting - seeing what they're all doing, the shocks, the surprises, the disappointments.....

When I was last home I met a girl who used to be almost a best friend back then and it was a bit awkward to say the least. I thought she was really going to go places, but that just didn't seem to happen and she's got quite a few problems now. Sad it was.

Anyways, are people here keeping in touch with old friends or losing touch.

Every now and again I get together with some old mates from school ad we'll go and have a beer.

It's weird because out of our old group of friends none of them really keep in contact anymore. It's just these occasional gatherings. Everyones gone their seperate ways.

Good point JellyBelly, it sure doesn't help!

I keep in touch with only one high school friend.

I see my college friends more often but many of them live on different Islands (or on the US mainland). On my trips back to Hawaii I don't have time to go island hopping.

It just doesn't seem that important anymore.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
Ive been seeing my old mates from HS/Uni and its been sweet. Feels like I hadnt seen em for like a week or something. Nice having some good mates like that \:\)
I'm fully with you there! I know my real mates are the ones I can hook up with after years and you just relax and slot straight back into the groove. No distance or tension. Like you said feels more like you haven't seen them for a week than a year.
\:\)

I got a mail from a school friend last month - it came right out of the blue and was the first that I had heard from him for over 15 years. Nice surprise, I realised I knew practically nothing about him post-school. Turns out he's lived in Italy, France, Greece and is now in Germany, been married divorced, and has 3 kids. I'm hoping to catch up with him next time I'm back home, I'm sure he's got more than a few stories to tell.

When I come back home Osaka, friends organize some parties for me. Keeping in touch with around 5 friends from junior high, around 10 from sinior high and some from uni. Sometimes by e-mail, sometimes by regular mail via post and sometimes by phone. They are all getting chubbier and chubbier every time I meet. Now I don't look so chubby among them though I was really chubby when I was a student coz they were all slim.

Lost contact with most of my school mates but I left my state for greener pastures straight after high school.

Of course being here does make it difficult to keep that friendship going, especially when most of my mates are email illiterate!

Fit back in as soon as I get home, but as the years go on the gap gets bigger. Thing is that it will all be back to the same if i return home, but I am not sure if thats what i really want!

Only 1 of my main group of friends remains in our hometown, working in a bank, seems quite contented. I usually meet up with him when I go back, but we have less and less in common as time goes on.

I keep in touch with most of the crew from high school/uni. I was lucky that we had a great bunch of fun people and it is not uncomfortable to catch up again in most cases. Still doing the same things, a few kids in the picture now and everyone is getting married. We must all be reaching that age I guess. It seems we all have a lot more responsibilities and less time to get on it, but it doesn't seem to stop us still having a good time.

It is a bit sad when some of your friends are early thirties, still constantly smoking drugs every day and not a career or job in sight. I call it the Peter Pan mentality! But as long as they are happy......... Unfortunately some of them aren't because heavy use of pot and E's will mess up your mind in the long run.

Everything in moderation I say! cool.gif

I have one good friend from primary school, one from high school, and about 3 from university. We hang out occasionally and seeing those good friends is really good. I get on with these people really well and it is so easy just to slot back into the groove and have a chat and a few drinks with them when I am at home!

I find seeing friends from my past, just because they were in my past is unnecessary and really sometimes uncomfortable. If you really wanted to stay in contact with these people you would have already. So, if I bump into OLD friends from high school etc. then of course I have a chat but I do not go out of my way to pretend I want to become friends again.

I think once you make a friend, not keeping in touch with them is a way to say "Ok, I really dont want to be your friend that much ...". Do people agree?