I have been wanting to buy something as a last-minute present for someone, and because of past experiences on rakuten have tried to call some places up to ask them if they have stock or not. (In the past, they have had the things listed on the site, but then said I'd have to wait a month for them to be sent!)

Anyway, I just called up one place, apparently a tiny place in Kobe and the guy who is the tanto answered the phone. I told him that I needed it quick and so was checking if they had any in stock and he came back to me with "we're rakuten, an online shop only and so please email us to ask us questions". Maybe if they don't want any calls I can understand it, but why put the phone number on the rakuten pages if phones are totally banned.

It just seemed a bit rubbish.

I called another place and they were fine and called me back to say they could ship it out today. So I used them.

It seems to me that rakuten is either brilliant or a very frustrating thing to use.

It annoys me when they don't put whether the items are available or not by each one. I'm not sure if they all have the ability to do that, but some places do and they're usually the ones that I order with if I'm searching.

I think basically online shops don't like to get phone calls. Because people need CHEAP stuff, so they need to cut every cost as much as possible. Answering each and every question over the phone is quite high cost because they need someone for it, in short they have to hire someone for it and pay.

Now I understand if we need something cheap, we had better understand what kind of support we can get. It's like how much we pay for the service.

When we call a PC support, it's always like ' the line is busy, please have patience or call us later' . Right?

HighlytrainedNovaTeacher, did you tell them not to show their phone number?

Ya, if they don't want to provice answering support over the phone, they should hide their phone #. Showing it and messaging like " no support on the phone" doesn't sound smart.

They want to get your email address in order to bomb you with their advertisements. I emailed rakuten once and now i get at least one spam a day from them and I can't figure out how to make it stop. mad.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
They want to get your email address in order to bomb you with their advertisements. I emailed rakuten once and now i get at least one spam a day from them and I can't figure out how to make it stop. mad.gif
Same here, Kintaro! mad.gif
I ordered some packs of candles only once through their site though.
Should we go to their place to punch everyone in the office there by your masakari and my fire brewing? \:D

In my experience there has been an unsubscribe link in the emails if I get put on a list I don't want to be on. It might be worth checking those mails out.

Different things, but I have bought electrical things from there. Of course I check out all the places to find the best deal - including kakaku. You just have to spend the time searching.

I simply emailed them once to see if they had region free DVD players. Didn't buy from them.

I have tried the unsubscribe link...still get spammed.

I've had the same problem Kintaro and it made me angry with rakuten. There may well have been an unsign link in the mail, but seeing as though I didn't sign up in the first place > mad.gif

I got a Japanese friend to help me write to them and ask to be taken off the list, and they replied by telling me sorry, please go to the website and do it there.

Me too.

I threatened them with a very angry mail (in Japanese) and the mails seemed to stop after that.

Other than that one instance I've bought from rakuten a few times with no problems or complaints.