Hey I am also getting a new pc soon (not quite the beast that is being discussed in that other thread), but I'm interested to know what other people do with their old pcs.

Yamada are offering 100 yen to take my old one eek.gif eek.gif (yes, ONE HUNDRED!).

I'd like to know of (much!) better alternatives.

I use a database software for managing my customer list by an old PC which is NOT connected to internet that's how an old PC survives and how I can avoid being hacked so important data :-)

There's a shop here that buys them for semi-decent prices and they stip them down and sell on the parts. You're never gonna get much for an old one, but its better doing something with it than it just gathering dust.

Just remember to format your drive before giving to someone!

There is a sculpture made of old computers painted matt grey that occupies/is an entire wall in a cafe area at the top of a departo above shinjuku eki. From memory it was mainly keyboards and other internal bits.

I recon you should tuck away an old laptop so that you can pull it out in 30 years and have a look at it. It will blow you away. What would be cool would be if it still started up. It would sure give the kids a laugh.

I generally take my old PC to a remote country road and throw it over the barrier along with my old bedding, TV, comics, empties and everything else. Give it back to the Nature is what I say.

• 3 months later...