And now they are talking about making him a saint. I didn't know short-sightedness and bloody-mindedness were miracles fit for cannonisation (sp?) :rolleyes:

A bit of water-to-wine, or "loaves and fishes" action would have been nice at least.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when one embarks on a pilgrimage.

pil·grim·age ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plgr-mj)

n.

1. A journey to a sacred place or shrine.

2. A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
when one embarks on a pilgrimage.

2. A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.
Walking to the local corner pub to meet up with your mates in the beer garden to talk about the surf and check out girls in summer skirts.
  • 2 weeks later...

Benedict XVI - formerly Joesph Ratzinger a.k.a Gods Rottweiller. As an outside observer I was hoping the Cardinals might have had the courage to pick a Latin American - the Honduran Cardinal for example - someone in touch with the modern world and in touch with the people. Instead the took JPII's favorite staunch hardliner and made him the Pope.

Satus quo from the Catholic church no change on any of the stances on birth control, condoms in Africa to prevent the spread of Aids, woman clergy etc

Yeah, that Honduran dude seemed pretty cool...I heard some priest on CNN a couple nights back saying how he showed up to be the Keynote speeaker at some college ceremony and instead of giving a lecture he taught the entire audience some traditional Honduran song and dance routine! That's great!

I have a feeling that Benedict XVI won't be around too long. Even his brother questions his ability to wake up everyday and do the job.

And why is everybody concerned about his stance on things? Who really follows any of it anyway? Is it just because the third world wants Vatican money to pay for birth control? Maybe huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Furm:
Is it just because the third world wants Vatican money to pay for birth control? Maybe huh?
Keep it up Furm, I am not sure where you come up with these gems lol.gif

The point is that the Catholic faith is, and has always been controlled by guilt. Despite you knowing so-called strict catholics that use birth control, the offical line is that it is a sin and your friends would probably be in the minority. The vast majority of strict catholics are opposed to contraception simply because the church has banned it. I care about the Church's stance on this and other matters because the hard-line approach causes suffering and hardship, especially with the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

Even if the Vatican did an about face on birth control, why would the Vatican be expected to pay for it? Maybe I have missed the point?

You are right about Benedict though. The guys is 78, already had two major operations and looks like the emperor off Return of the Jedi. The only good thing about him is that he is named after a nice drink.

Boy oh boy!

Keep what up? Relax.

I merely stated that NO catholic I know follows the strict stance of the Pope!

Is your point that all Catholics in Africa follow these strict teachings and, therefore, the church is responsible for the aids problem within the Catholic community?

Well I know a fair few that do unfortunately. And this is in a fairly liberal country. Go to latin or south america and some take it very seriously.

Yes that is my point, A+ for critcal analysis. I think they are partly responsible, and many agree with me.

I am already relaxed thanks, how about you. Note the laughing smiley and take a deep breath. Still haven't answered my question though, why would the Vatican be expected to pay for birth control in Africa? Lifting the ban would be enough.

That is a pretty funny picture on your member page!! He's a scary looking man.

OK...I just question whether lifting the ban would be enough. The African community currently has no hope in asking the Vatican for financial help now. I think that they would if the Vatican lifted the ban. That is all. Isn't availability of contraceptives in Africa an issue also?

Call me childish, but I always cracked up seeing the last Poke getting about with that stick with Jeedub crucified on it.

(I went to Sunday school with a kid with a speech impediment, and my view of Christianity has obviously been somewhat coloured by that too.)

For the Catholic faith, an about-turn on the condom issue to stem the spread of AIDS would raise more fundamental issues, and amount to a sanctioning of extra-marital sex, after all condoms within a marriage are only aboout birth-control (the reason for them being banned in the first place).

As for funding promiscuity... quite the thread hanging from the vatican gown just waiting to be pulled.

(personally, I'd quite like it to be pulled.)