• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister used to wind me up when I was younger saying that it was written that the world would end when XXth Pope died (the XXth one being this one!) I got all worried about it back then.

Last rites, aren't they something a priest gives to someone who is dying or something? Forgive the ignorance.

Last rites used to be a series of prayers given to someone who was thought to be near death. It was meant to clense the soul of any remaining sin to smooth the path to heaven, especially if you had any "mortal sins" left on there. It was also meant to give "spiritual strength" to the patient, which may give them the urge to fight it out a bit longer. Nowdays the church tends to talk up the strength-giving bit and play down the soul-clensing bit because that is a bit "fire and brimstone" for the kids of today \:D

Anyway, it's about time the old dude kicked the bucket so they might get someone more progressive in the chair and change church policy in a number of overdue areas, like removing the ban on contraception, and letting married men and women be preists (like that is going to happen) :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can't help myself.

I wish cristianity in all its forms would die along with the pope, especially catholicism and any notion of god. This would however leave several other pointless superstitions (aka, religions) floating around the world.

In no recognisable format at all I manage to acknowledge several 'gods': ocean, sun, air, tree, animal (includes humans). They are all that matter. When I am dead the worms (not a god, by the way) will eat my body, as it will the pope's.

Quote:
Originally posted by guzzlers-baps:
Warning:
CNN is going pope-overload today.
it would make change from Schiavo-overload.......
Gotta give the Pope some props for tenacity - the guy just will not quit or let go. His number is almost up now though.
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
Gotta give the Pope some props for tenacity - the guy just will not quit or let go.
agree. at that age and poor health it it is a big ask for him to stay working for so many years.

I don’t/didn’t wish for anyone to die either. I am just tired of living in a religiously driven world and failed to hold it in.

I admit that this was not the discussion for me to carry on about it like a broken record.

Last Rites are also read to someone in the hope that they will heal. The Pope was read last rites when he was shot in the gut in the 80's also.

No, I'm not Catholic - I heard this on NPR (National Public Radio) which usually does a great job of reporting.

The Pope is gone now. He did some great things in his time but also had some messed up views. Hopefully the church will get somebody a little more progressive this time lol.gif lol.gif

RIP JP

Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):

I wish cristianity in all its forms would die along with the pope, especially catholicism and any notion of god. This would however leave several other pointless superstitions (aka, religions) floating around the world.

In no recognisable format at all I manage to acknowledge several 'gods': ocean, sun, air, tree, animal (includes humans). They are all that matter. When I am dead the worms (not a god, by the way) will eat my body, as it will the pope's.
Agree with you there mate!

Catholic priests are all a bunch of alter boy fondling devo's,

geez just look at the negative points why dont ya?? there have been many good things that the various religions have done/and are doing...lumping them into one altar boy fondling group is a sad one sided view of things.

And 34 guests..

Quote:

I think my friend summed it up nicely while we were out drinking one night and we discussed your post

"You proclaim loudly your aetheism, yet profess a semi-paganistic belief - all you've done is swap a diety for a multitude of them"

nuff said

not nuff said,

Come on, you took me seriously? I believe in no sun-god or anything of the sort, I was taking the piss hence my 'the worms are not gods' comment. There is no god of any type, nor is there an anti-god nor a pagan god. There is nothing, at least nothing beyond what is there when I wake up every morning, that is, nature. I am happy that it is there each morning, but I thank no one for it. And I most certainly do not worship anything or drink wine and tell myself it is blood (sounds like a pagan habit to me).

Everything good that has come from religion could easily exist without religion itself. Religion is just the packaging that we need because we are scared and weak.

Enjoy your next bible class over a beer with your mates. Tell them that I have written into my legal instructions upon my death that there must be no mention of a concept popularly known as 'god' when I am buried.

Like I said, this is not the thread for my rants on this topic.

And you took ME seriously!!! hahaha. well lets just end it here then. And nah I havent seen the inside of a bible class since I was 8 or 9 and not what you would call a practicing Catholic by any stretch of the imagination. Im sure the folks in the SJSC would vouch for that \:D

well that is enuff from me