I know this guy who keeps a detailed excel file of ALL of his money going in and out. That means every single thing - including things like what he spent on milk, in the supermarket, the train, etc.... everything.

He things its normal.

I think it's madness!

What do you think?

I keep a general track of things, but don't detail it out to the last yen (nowhere near that detailed)

I have a friend in the US that does the same thing. I think it is funny and always give him a hard time about it. He is REALLY anal and cheap!

I haven't kept track of anything in recent years. Probably not a good alternative, but online banking kinda reduces the need for personal bookkeeping.

Oh yeah, and what about the bank books that the J banks hand out for you to put into the cash machine whenever you make a withdrawal? I suppose this is pretty handy for the tedious bookkeepers.

I never use it though.

Who out there does?

I just can't imagine coming back home and opening up excel to note down the cost of the stamp I bought and the can of coke.

(He isn't self-employed by the way, so it's not as if he needs these things for tax reasons etc.)

He would drive me up the wall.

I'm very "about". I know about how much the bills cost every month and about how much I can spend if I want to save about the amount I want to save every month. About. \:\)

I like the bank books for my account it keeps a track on my balance. But they aren't detailed are they. I usually just take out 50000 yen or something and work with that, I don't note down what the money goes on. When I need more, I take more out! Simple!

I bet he would be rubbing his hands with glee if he got that huge tax refund I did the other week. lol.gif

I have to keep details for my business of course, but personal stuff I'm the same as you rach.

I always know my balances but don't budget or keep strict accounting of expenditures. I do, however, keep very strict accounting for my stock purchases and sales.

Those bank books are a throwback from the past, aren't they? To me, they are irritating. I can't stand waiting in a cash machine line while some lady is puting her bank book through the machine like a five year old kid tracking her first savings account ever (I admit my wife does this though).

Are you talking about the books that you put in the machine and they just list up all the in and out?

If so, can't see what the problem with that is, only takes a second and I think it's really useful as a record.

The only problem I have with that book is the family of ducks on the cover. I like ducks fine, just don't want cartoon ducks on my bank account book.

I was on a super tight budget at Uni - I got no student allowance, my parents helped only minimally - a token amount of financial support, so I worked my ass of 60-80 hour weeks over the summer breaks and saved upwards of $7000 and then tried to live of it for the rest of the year -loans took care of my school fees. also picked up casual work during term.

So started keeping a written spreadsheet and out of curiosity I added it up once at the end of the year.

I kept it for posterity and remind me of when I wasnt so financially comfortable.

here is a summary

$12610.61 total expenditure

$8116.82 income = deficit of $4489

$4040 - Dorm fees

$2295 - Uni fees ( cheap hey? - screw going to a US university and paying exorbitant fees)

$899 - stereo system ( even poor dudes need some tunes)

$850 Mtn Bike - The "yak" what a piece of s**t it was

$134.10 Junk food

$336.13 course books

$47 - movie tickets

$113.85 Mountain bike parts

$404.10 Sleeping bag and tramping pack ( both 1/2 price)

$74.94 CDS

$146.60 in alcohol - I drank the cheapest highest octane booze - $146 goes a long way!

$237 snowboaridng

$416.70 - new glasses and contact lens

$64 attending rugby games at Lancaster park - go Canterbury!!

$45.55 at KFC, McDonalds and Georgie pie (that is $0 now )

$8 ice skating

$9.95 Thunderbirds T shirt

$20 2nd hand squash racket

$57 National Geographic membership

it goes on and on and on, I listed it all, looking back now brings back a flood of memories of places I went and things I did - ah Natsukashi!!!!

I stopped once I finished at Uni, now I am just careful, I have seen how $10 bucks here $5 bucks there can skyrocket if you are not careful.

It is very addictive once you start doing it, you have to keep at it, so I can understand Liquid X's aquaintances obsession.

I keep a detailed budget of all monthly expenses but not going as far as recording every single purchase (especially for small goods such as stamps, drinks etc)

I have done it once for a week as a test to see where my cash was going and you will find that all those little expenses do actually add up to quite a bit.

I have always budgeted (ever since I started working as a kid) so I can't imagine how people can actually survive with out some kind of plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
I'm very "about". I know about how much the bills cost every month and about how much I can spend if I want to save about the amount I want to save every month. About. \:\)
Sweet - me too!! lol.gif Im very tekitou about money \:D

Why, thank you \:D

I'm "appropriate". Hmmm, not sure if that is good or not actually. (It doesn't sound very exciting does it?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Tekitou or 適当 means "appropriate".
From what you say, you will probably be a very 適当 wife for some lucky guy!
"Tekitou", as I suspect here, often means the same as "iikagen", almost the complete opposite of "appropriate". As in "irresponsible", "careless", "slack" ....

A "tekitou na henji" is any old rubbish you come out with to shut somebody up, not an "appropriate answer".