be careful in the surf this summer!

That looks like Sunset Beach, North Shore Oahu. The haole guy is Aussi?? Unfortunately, that's a pretty typical scene in Hawaii. Haole's beware!

Yes, beware violent revolting thugs that have no place on a happy Earth.

No matter how much of a loser that guy was, he did not deserve to get treated like that.

And look at how it was regarded as entertainment.

What a disgraceful corner of the Earth.

Indo - Agreed, that was 100% pipe.

Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):

What a disgraceful corner of the Earth.

ps - I am sure that there are many aspect of Hawaiian life that are different to this violence and do not deserve my blanket statement.

Sunset. I practically grew up there. Not a disgraceful corner of the Earth (A rather beautiful corner). Just an unfriendly occurence. So expert Hawaiians, have you actually been to Hawaii? Pilau eh you! You want to talk about Hawaii DB, Indo? Let's hear it. Fill us in on your vast knowledge of Hawaii. What's your favorite break? Please kokua. \:D

I have never been to Hawaii, let alone Oahu.

I read about this a while ago and I may I may well be wrong but I reckon it was back door pipe, perhaps towards off the wall and during a body board contest. The beaten surfer was from Cali.

The guy that first starts hitting the surfer in the water is Kaino McGee, a body boarder that has kicked some arse in serious (standup) surfing comps after only (standup) surfing for a few years. The dude doing the beating on the beach was a guy called Kala, a memeber of the Dahui. He wanted the Cali surfer to go back to the Volcom House, which is right on Pipe, not Sunset.

Here is the house and the webcams and... .Pipe.

http://www.wavelust.com/bsl/124.html

ps – I’m not saying this stuff about Pipe in an attempt to be right at the expense of someone else being wrong.

pps - K, see my comment about Hawaii not deserving my original blanket statement.

A pretty sad story when nobody stops criminal activity, but stands around enjoying it and even gets filmed and smugly put into a WM vid that sucks up to "famous" lawbreakers. Several instances of assault and battery, and property damage. I suppose a lot of people who view this vid think "Awesome, dude...the cool ones beat up the jerk...this is the true way of Locals and it's cool to be righteous with the brahs and all..."

This has nothing Hawaii-specific about it. Just a bunch of large criminal bullies who never grew up from playground fights. You can find them all over the place, but they belong in handcuffs.

I am sure this happens almost everywhere. My mate got a beating while we were surfing at North Narrabeen once for droppin in. He has a big mouth though sometimes, so in a way it was comin! Sad though,

I used to surf before/after work to relax and take my mind of things, if I wanted to fight I would just go to the local bar!

Quote:
A pretty sad story when nobody stops criminal activity
Your enjoying a quiet beer at the pub. A couple of big bikers are palying pool quitely by themselves. In walks a fairly small guy who wants to be a hero. He sits in the middle of the pool table and refuses to get off. When the bikers inevedably remove him by force are you going to go and save him?

He done it to himself and must have known what would happen. If he tried to run away he would have easaly been able to, no one was chasing him.
I dont condone violence but I would not try to save somebody so obviously trying to invite trouble.

34 said it all.

kintaro, I & 34g never ever said that we were Hawaiian Experts!

It was at PIPE and you don't have to be a local to be able to tell that! Its really amazing how from just watching surf vids that you can tell what wave is what very easily.(also I am friends with a one of the boys who was filming that fight from the water and by his account it was pipe too!)

As far as have I been to Hawaii? NO, My reasoning is simple.

I come from South Oz where it is very easy for me to surf waves similar to pipe with NO CROWDS. Several of my mates (some WCT surfers and some on the lid tour ) will only go to Hawaii because of contests as it's so hard to get a damn wave.

A mate who was in the top 20 on the CT could only manage about 1 wave an hour at pipe on a good day! I am sure Hawaii is a beautiful place but if i am going to travel for surf its going to be somewhere that my wave per hour ratio can be rather high.

"Sunset. I practically grew up there" what does this mean Kman?

You either lived there or you didn't.

Stag, I wouldn't mess with the bikers in your example. But there's no need to change things, we saw the vid. It wasn't a bar and they weren't bikers. And the onlookers I am thinking of didn't mind their own business, they all gathered round with their cameras and gleefully called over their friends. Over and over again. For a long time. A sad, sick image of mob rule.

If this really was a contest, why didn't the organizers stop this? The guy on the jetski, the officials. The people are mostly caught on film. Even on a message board in Japan, some people know their names.

Can't the local police or prosecutors follow up? I hope they did. Should you be allowed to close a public beach for a contest if you can't stop public beatings? This town is a joke now that the vid is on the Net. Not so good for tourism in Hawaii, eh?

Sure, by some people's personal code of conduct, the guy deserved what he got. Does that make the beating legal or even recommendable?

I admit I enjoyed watching the video from start to finish. It is gripping in a way.

But what irritates me the most about it is the smug, hero-worshipping way it is put together, and apparently received by some viewers...including name-dropping of "pros" that somebody may claim to have personally met or be mates with, the fawning, jingoistic canonization of Hawaiian beaches, surfers and surf culture no matter what, and the blind acceptance of mob justice and beatings as a kind of cool thing that shows what happens when you go against the grain.

Just more meatheads masquerading as coolness. I'm not qualified to comment on recent years, but the aggro, arrogant, pumped up surfer who thinks his shyte doesn't stink was not a rare breed.

And the droids that cheered on and whooped - well........?

Seems like the only guy with real fortitude was the beaten one who never ran away.

Faults on both sides there. Honky should have let it go after the original confrontation but there's that fragile male ego (and face) for you. The crowd thing was not cool and really did remind me of the school yard. Rather sad.

I always stick by the credo that the best surfer is the one having the most fun (and not at other people's expense). Hate crowds when I'm surfing, just not good enough for them anymore.

Apparently, the guy receiving the beating has a bi-polar disorder and wasn't on his meds. I frequent a couple of surfing message boards and a couple of guys on there personally know the dude getting the beat-down.

The whole situation was messy. ALL parties involved ended up being in the wrong. Watching the crowd/mob scene when things moved to the beach sickens me. It was one of the reasons on a long list of reasons that I got the hell off of Oahu and especially the north shore. It's a different vibe there. I never personally had problems with anyone, but I saw enough sh*t go down to know that I didn't want to live there any more.

For the most part, the people in Hawaii are great (Kintaro for example). Unfortunately, on the north shore and within the surfing culture there, thugs and criminals rule (this includes the police). Kala Alexander should be castarated and fed his own nutz. He is worthless as a human being. I've seen him in action first hand so I feel my opinion is fair and justified.

What is the attitude in the surf on other islands/coasts like in different season?

My opinion about this violence is no secret. No one deserves to be treated like that in return for what he did wrong. But you have to question what was going through his head: North shore Oahu, lid contests, surfer paddles out into the comp zone and defies well known bullies. Why the hell did he do it?

I have to admit that fear/desire to stay happy etc makes me stay away from places like that.

I will visit a Hawaiian island one day but don't reckon I will surf anywhere crowded. Would need to get my fitness up anyway. Hawaiian waves aren't for slugs.

Going to a remote and almost empty (of surfers) island in Fiji later in the year. Hopefully lots of waves.

Let me first say that my "haole's beware" comment only meant sincerely, people not from Hawaii be carefull, there are some punk ass people that behave like this in Hawaii towards 'haole's' (foriegners/ or white people).

Stag, the words on the clip say pipe. Yah, and who said those words?

Indo, if you have ever been to Oahu (woywoy!!) you would know that sunset/pipe/etc. mostly look the same with the exception of Waimea because it is a bay. In my opinion (someone who has been there more than 1000 times)it looks like Sunset but we are arguing apples and oranges. But perhaps your prescription to Surfer mag can prove me wrong.

Indo, by saying that I practically grew up there doesn't mean that my parents raised me on the beach but rather that as a youth I spent most of my free time there.

Plucky knows. He's spent plenty of time on the North shore surfing as a 'new guy on the scene.' The punk fighting culture shown on the video is not the norm but an everyday possibility.

That's all.

If you surf, visit Hawaii. Anyone with decent manners will find it to be an excellent experience. wave.gif

Kintaro,!

I am not a fan of surfer mag, always full of rubbish ads.

I'll stick to the Aussie ones, although they are becoming the same.

Anywhere in the world you should give respect to the locals, you just shouldn't expect a whipping like he got.( but then he shouldn't have been.......)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Indo, if you have ever been to Oahu (woywoy!!) you would know that sunset/pipe/etc. mostly look the same with the exception of Waimea because it is a bay.
Hi Kintaro,

Anyone who has read and watched surf magazines knows that ;\) . Besides, rather than the shape of the coastline, which you couldn't really see anyway, mine and Indo's judgement was based on the shape and style of the wave and given it's size, the proximity to the shore line. If that was Sunset, you wouldn't have even hit the famous rip that close to the shore (based on my observations in magazines). Any surfer can tell the difference between Sunset and Pipe the instant they look at a picture, even on small days, and especially on big days. No surfer would ever make that mistake. Do you really think a pro tour competition would be held in 4 foot shore break at Sunset. It doesn't even break on days like that.

Since I am politely trying to defend my/ourselves I may as well post the fruits of my internet searching. I remember reading about this on a forum ages ago, but never watched the clip as at that stage it was banned at work to watch multimedia. I searched and searched and found a link to an article. This one is from a reporter who was one of the guys who surfed in the post-comp expression session. He says it is Pipe, and that is because it is. 1000 (one thousand!!??) times there and you can even tell that? I doubt you were looking at the waves very much :p

Here is the link, directly to the originating website:
http://www.fluidzone.com/pages/?pageID=1236&wordsID=1138

Kintaro, is this a picture of Pipe or Sunset? Read all the way to the bottom of the linked article and you will find the answer. See the blue text on the picture? If you dont believe then email the pro that wrote the article.
566s.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I honest am not trying to be something I am not. I have never been there and am not trying to talk over a former resident of Hawaii for the sake of being right or a smart arse. I had a beer with woywoy recently and was shocked and impressed when he casually said ‘sure, I surfed along the north shore’. My response was ‘rather you than me’.

I am just backing up my strong opinion with evidence.

It looks like Pipe to me. Not backdoor, as backdoor is a right-hander, but Banzai Pipeline. But I have only spent 10 days on the North Shore in my life so I am no expert ... As DB explains, the way the waves are breaking in the clip certainly look more like those waves breaking at Pipe rather than Sunset. Also, bodyboarders would probably NOT hold a contest at Sunset as it is more of a testing, rippy, "big-wave" spot that does not throw out a perfect tube on takeoff like Pipe. In contrast, Pipe is all about getting tubed. And bodyboarders love that ... even if it is 2foot they can get tubed.

My 10 days on the North Shore were spent at supposedly a very busy time of the year, before New Years last year, but I constantly found deserted beaches and uncrowded, not-so-heavy waves. I am no WCT surfer but found the North Shore to be a beautiful place with a certain undescribable aura that every serious surfer should experience some time in their life.

I stayed right near Velzyland, the last decent surf spot on the North Shore, and supposedly one of the "less" heavy spots. Sunny Garcia and Shane Beschen were out there two days I surfed there along with a load of grommets who absolutely ripped. I got pounded my first few surfs at V-Land but eventually got a few fun ones although I tried to keep out of the way of the locals. Some of the local Hawaiians (not all excellent surfers but very mixed in ethnic background) were friendly enough to have a quick chat, and this was at a variety of spots I surfed.

I encourage anyone who loves surfing to go to the North Shore once in their life. However, do not limit yourself to the North Shore. It is true that the rest of the island has GREAT waves, although they are a little more spread out than the 30-odd surf spots on the infamous, wave-riddled North Shore.

I have read a bit of stuff on the net etc. about the "Rat Pack" and Dahui on the North Shore and while I can understand what they are trying to do to a certain extent at Pipe, I do not think that they need to be violent with people. It just shows how uneducated and primitive they are, and to think that they can get away with it is even more ridiculous. We all have to respect locals when surfing at new spots but no matter how stupid a blow-in is he does not deserve that sort of beating, let alone be filmed and shown on the internet all over the world.

Excellent argument. It's pipe. I admit I didn't watch that video more than once and was mostly just looking at the fight scene and the typical Sunset crowd on the beach. Pipeline has a different atmosphere. It wasn't that important to me. But I have been there way more than 1000 (one thousand) times. I will not look at that disturbing video again but trust your knowledge of judging waves and go along with you that it is pipe, a few hundred meters down the road from the usually more 'punkish' sunset.

As far as I know woywoy had a trouble free time surfing the North Shore. I still reccomend any of you surfers to visit. It's arguably the best place on Earth to surf in the Northern Hemisphere winter(I sense an argument coming). ;\)