Switzerland and Austria don't strike me as being the places to go for partying.

I've been to Austria and southern Germany. The weather spoiled half of my time there but when the weather was fine it was beautiful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Who you goin' with rach, anybody spesh?
What apart from myself? Ah that would be telling. Probably a UK girl friend.

The 10km or so journey from the bottom to Jungfrau Top of Europe costs the equivelant of 10,500 yen return (118.00 CHF) - and that's if you have a Swiss Pass and represents 25% off the full price!!!

Crazy expensive, but you've just got to do it, incredible it is.

Most of the journey is through the mountain up to the top. Only go if the weather is good though, bad weather and it's a waste of time and money.

Yeah, the Jungfrau ride was a source of friction on our family trip too. Our Mum was scared shitless of going up the mountain on a bit of wire, and our Dad was torn between the adventure and paying out all the dosh. I think he probably wanted to go up by himself and save himself a lot of money and trouble. We ended up not going up the Jungfrau and taking home with us a lot of 'bittersweet' memories.

Hey! I went up there in 1985. I am shocked that it was 20 years ago. I saw a massive avalanche , a big airborne rumbling cloud thing smashing down a cliff. I also met some Scottish or Irish kids that I couldn't understand.

Don't remember how much it cost.

Yes it is. Like Mr Pie said though, you need good weather otherwise its a waste of a lot of money.

Must cost a packet if you're taking a family up there.

I've been to both really like both. I'd probably choose Austria though - if not only because it is cheaper. Many aspects are similar if it's mountains that you want.

And Vienna is a great city, spend at least a few days there.

Well it's pretty much planned now. We'll be arriving in Geneva, making our way to the Jungfrau region, then onto Zermatt. It will be a busy 6 days, but hopefully really great. Good weather please!!

Thanks for the tips... I'll let you know how it went in September!

• 2 weeks later...

Great place. My advice would be to really plan your trip in detail (or at least your journeys and which trains/cable cars) in advance along with your Swiss pass ticket. It might well save you a fair bit of money.

Well cheeseman, perhaps I will mail you and you can tell me all about it. What Swiss cheeses do you recommend?

• 1 month later...

In prehistoric times, I lived in Kitzbuhel, Austria - home of the Hannenkamn downhill - and managed to ski close to 200 days a year (glaciers were near enough in off-season) for 5 years.

If you are thirsty and looking for night-life, The Londoner Pub in Kitzbuhel is a rocking place - I worked there when it opened in 1976 and visited again last year. It's still there and the staff are made up mostly of Brits and colonials. Lots of fun there - a bit of an oasis in an otherwise very conservative country.

• 1 month later...