As disillusioned as Clive Sinclair perhaps

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4409649.stm

It was supposed to revolutionise transportation as we know it, so why is the Segway Human Transporter nowhere to be seen on the streets of Britain?

If you believed the hype, the world's first motorised, self-balancing scooter was going to revolutionise personal travel when it was introduced into the UK two years ago.

----

I mean, would you do this:

_41001939_amsterdam203.jpg

And me.

They're extremely easy to fall off of. Take the thing up to top speed, lean too far back when stopping (lay a little rubber), overcompensate forwards, and bang! your face is planted in the concrete before you can say Oh sh...

There's an exquisite moment when you feel the little gyros give up on their effort to stop you going forward. Your hands are not ideally placed to prevent you smashing your face into the ground. Those little helmets won't do any good because they don't have a chin guard. I realigned my front teeth (I popped 'em back into their sockets but they still hurt) and split my top lip.

This was at an environmental technology trade fair in Matsuyama. A Danish punter was there determined to get the thing to turn on only one wheel, a supposed impossibility. He managed it easily (indeed, without punching out of the envelope as spectacularly as me). The Segway rep must have been quietly going "****ing foreigners! Next time we'll have a sign saying NO ****ING FOREIGN RIDERS ALLOWED".

There's a reason why Segways haven't caught on. They have a deadly competitor. It's called the 'push bike'.

haha, funny that. They're a touch more expensive than pushbikes as well aren't they.

Did anyone ever buy a C5? I bet they're worth 'a fortune' now. lol.gif

A friend who heard about my Segway adventure gleefully told me about the latest machine in the lineup - the Off-road Segway.

I'd like to watch somebody (my friend perhaps), riding it down a steep, rock-strewn slope. Now that would be entertaining.

xt_bk_md.jpg

You wouldn't feel like Davros in a C5 because Davros moved about through the sheer force of his own alien evil. In a C5 you have to pedal, and those lead-acid batteries aren't light.

A quick glance at the Segway website suggests that they've identified precisely the design flaw in their original pogo stick that I demonstrated with so much elan. They're now planning a 4-wheeler that should help yahoos keep their front teeth in proper alignment. If they keep at it for another 10 years, they'll develop the mountain bike, then we'll all be really modern.

Well. This business man looks well chuffed with his C5 and is going to work in it.

Page2.jpg

Don't some of you Tokyoites wish you had one of these babies to get round in.

(Not too sure I fancy doing 1000 miles in it though, Clive.)

Get one on ebay brit-gob

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=4541408902&rd=1

I can't remember where I saw it, but I saw someone online make a very passable imitation of a Segway for about a tenth of the cost using not especially flash programmable electronics and ordinary motors. So much for super high-tech.

The ability to come to a sudden stop without falling forwards, an art perfected by Roadrunner, could possibly be realized by a single front wheel, as in Sir Clive's prophetic design.

"The world's first practical personal transport powered by electricity."

Times may change, but its interesting to see that the advertising industry was coming out bullshit back then too. Electric cars were relatively common in the early days of motoring at the beginning of the 20th Century. And they were a damned site more practical than the C5. During an infamous test drive on the BBC program "Top Gear", William Woolard got out halfway after being passed by a double-decker bus. He looked terrified.

Thats more than bullshit it is downright lies!

Who can come up with the most fun caption for that photo with the woman and the dogs taking a walk and noticing the guy on the c5.

How about

"what a ****ing loser"

lol.gif

It occurs to me that you could have more fun on that hill with a Carve Stik. It would also be cheaper and you could probably skate (or run) back up the hill faster than matey on his Shinkansen tricycle.