I tried crosscountry skiing for the first time today at the Snowharp 1998 Nagano winter olympic trails. It was fun!

I wondered how much I could go but once you start skiing, no worry to ski backward on an uphill - you can't do that because the back of crosscountry ski is uneven, you can never ski backward - I didn't know that!

I planed to ski round and round just in front of the main building there but I did the hardest course ( 5kms ) all the way in a half an hour by just walking. It never looked like I skiied, I'm sure lol.....

2 crosscountry skiing players overtook me, they must be well trained player though.

Uphill was okay, just could walk up. But downhill was scary!!!! I forgot to ask how to turn left or right and how to stop before I started.

Anyone keen to crosscountry skiing or already pro? - what was it like your first time?

\:\)

quattro, is the "snowplowing" a technique to how to turn, right?

I did google to find it out but what I found is kinda commercial cars to shave the roads or push the snow out.....

Humm... telemark turn... sounds my knees hurt!

Gamera

a snowplow turn is just like the turn you would use when learning to downhill on alpine skis. Place your skis in a wedge and apply pressure to the inside edge of the direction you want to turn. If you want to slow down place equal pressure on both inside edges.

As for telemarking is actualy easier on the knees then alpine skis Do not try thhis till you start felling more comfortable on your skis

well cross country will take care of that. If you feel a little unnerved about being on skinny skis. Look at some backcountry cross country skis. there a bit wider and the bindings are a bit heavy duty.

You can also go with an older style 3 pin or a cable binding. these type of bindings wil also require slightly diffrent boots.

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
I tried crosscountry skiing for the first time today at the Snowharp 1998 Nagano winter olympic trails. It was fun!
Really good exercise
Good for you
You'll put dropping pounds quickly if you keep it up
  • 1 month later...

Gamera, 5km for half an hour is very impressive! I went to Minekata ski resort which also has 5km course. This course has splendid view of North Alps. We stopped pretty often and it took 2hours... Some very serious CC skiers went to Iwatake and Snowharp, too. They really enjoyed CCS in Hakuba this weekend. CCS is good excersise and it's cheap, too. It was good experience for me, however I like down hill skiing much better.

no expert but you can ski backwards, i have done it on few down hill tracks. i think the key to turning is pressure on out side skiis inside edge. if I remeber correctly.