Good movies you've seen recently

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps you should stop looking up your own asshole.

I saw Alvin and the Chipmunks 3.   I would like to kill all chipmunks and all people called Alvin.

I reckon he stole more than a loaf of bread. 100 more like

The Constant Gardener, directed by Fernando Meirelles - starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. Story of a british diplomat and his activist, outspoken wife in Kenya. She is murdered and he goes on a mission to find out what exactly happened, which highlights the underlying theme - the scandal of global pharmaceutical companies in Africa. Very very much liked this film - utterly thought provoking subject, gripping acting and epic location.

I liked King Kong, was thrilled rather than bored.

Quote:
I had 0 expectations in the first place
You wanted to not like it perhaps? ;\)

Cal, no thats not what I meant. The hype was over so it wasnt a big deal. Im actually a K.K. fan but just didnt get into it nor really enjoy it. Did like some of the action scenes but it just seemed like a stupid remake of Jurassic Park 3 with King Kong included. I mean, WTF was that scene with the 3 T-rexs and K.K. swinging from vines? Looked forward to it but am quite happy I rented it rather than went to the theater for it \:\)

Freedom to Fascism sounds like a great flick. It can apparently teach me "what it means to be an American." I must say it's a must see 'cuz I've been clueless all these years. I am a huge fan of these open minded movie critics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Freedom to Fascism sounds like a great flick. It can apparently teach me "what it means to be an American." I must say it's a must see 'cuz I've been clueless all these years. I am a huge fan of these open minded movie critics.
I've heard the director talking in an interview and the movie is about the assault on the Constitution. How the Bill of Rights is being ignored. If spying on you is American, lying to you is American, and robbing you is American, US politics is becoming increasingly American.

In Britain we don't have a Bill of Rights (we only have tradition and precedents), so I'm envious of the American one. It's a wonderful thing. The trouble is is that its being increasingly ignored. Right of assembly, free speech, freedom from random searches, habeus corpus, they're all going out the window.

FWIW, the director often brings up the old "income tax is illegal in the USA" one, so he's no left-winger.

That EV film looks great. I'll just add that as a Prius owner, there is a vast amount of disinformation and black propaganda against the car. I wouldn't be surprised if vested interests were behind it.

Goemon, thanks for the pointer - I'd like to see that one too. I find documentaries far more memorable than most other types of film. (There's an article about that in the Independent . (They'll charge you a quid to read it though.)

Mr Wiggles, some of the things said about the Prius such as the recalls and the fact that turbo diesel injection engines get better mileage are true though, no?

Recalls are very common for all cars, so there's no reason for them to make headline news. The computer glitch in the Prius was a loss of power that forced you to pull over and stop. The car would then restart fine. It happened to a few hundred people, but didn't cause any accidents, something you can't say about exploding Fords and SUVs with delamming tyres. The computer is absolutely central to the hybrid system, so its not surprising there has been a minor glitch with it. Mercedes' hybrid prototypes actually got worse mileage, simply because they couldn't work out a successful control algorithm. It's the bit that Toyota have licenced to Nissan and Ford. The main problem with Prius coverage though is nothing to do with reliability (it has higher owner satisfaction than any other car, and remember people with sports cars also tend to be smug about them) or whether the Insight/Lupo/whatever gets better mpg. For every article about those aspects, there are ten that say

- it doesn't get its rated mileage (no car does)

- it has no power (???)

- it won't save you money in the long term (cue strange statistics and comparison with a less-nice car, based on $2 a gallon. The best way to save money? - DON'T BUY A CAR, NICE OR OTHERWISE)

- changing the battery will be absolutely necessary and cost a fortune (super-high mileage Prius taxis have proved this a myth for the current model)

- it is too lightweight and unsafe (myth #2)

- it is plasticy, the seats aren't heated/powered, and the stereo is crap (some American Prius owners give it this one)

- buying it is unAmerican (for American readers)

There are also many articles that lump all the various hybrids together, focus on the performance hybrids like the Lexus one that's hardly selling, and then say hybrids get crap mileage and the whole hybrid technology thing is bollocks. The irony is that performance hybrids have only been produced as an attempt to win over performance-obsessed motor journos. They're designed for more power, not mileage.

As for the tdi comparisons, you have to consider what kind of driving they are doing and whether its a like-for-like comparison. The tdi example usually given for stellar mileage, a VW Lupo, is a very small car, and the diesel version is not on sale in Japan or the USA (I think). My brothers got a tdi Fiat Stilo, which is a pretty good car, and my old SUV is a diesel that still gets 10km/l with a light foot. If they had good diesels in Japan, it would be worth considering, but the PM/NOx regulations make it look like a non-starter. The Prius design actually sacrifices fuel economy for lower emissions, so maybe the diesels in the comparisons would lose mileage if the drawing board technologies to make them cleaner were implemented. The main thing though is that comparing cars on any single factor reduces the whole process to a stupid game of Top Trumps where a crappy armoured car with a high top speed will beat a mighty tank. You have to look at the big picture and ask whether the whole package is for you.

I'm only mentioning all this because I think that fuel-efficient and clean cars are better for everyone than other cars. The notion that someone is cool because of something they've bought, be it a Prius, Ipod, or fancy ski jacket, is very shallow. The most environmentally friendly thing you can do is to not buy anything.

just to highjack this thread a little further, there is an interesting albeit short article in the current publication of ADBUSTERS addressing the shift in the American Right towards facism. in a nut shell the slant is that although the party is still far from reaching a facist state, there a number of frightening circumstances to indicate the move is already in progress. however, the writer suggests that at the moment the American people are still well informed and as such are fully capable of preventing the slide from continuing. an interesting read if you can get you hand on it. kinda tough here in japan though.