It's that time of year again when I get my summer flights back to the UK fixed up - like last year I wish I had done it earlier... my first choice when I called up was not available! I've got it booked now without too much fuss but I was surprised to hear how "busy" it seemed to be.

When do all you guys and gals get summer flights booked? Already done? Not thought about it yet?

Next year I am definitely going to do it in March. Someone remind me please.

I usually book reserve a year in advance if travelling at peak times when I am going home, I don't have to pay till 4 months before usually.

Summer trips I usually book a few months before, unless it's right on Obon then maybe at the start of the year.

• 1 month later...

If I'm buying a ticket and looking for a deal, I won't let these air mile cards cloud my judgement - they are often increasing useless as people above have said.

Are there any airlines out there that have not clamped down on all this?

How do some of you people get THREE weeks holiday? This is Japan ... the land of no holidays and endless overtime! Let me in on the excellent jobs you guys have all found here!!! HELP!!!

I don't know about now, but AETs used to get the whole of summer off - 4 weeks I think.

The place I work understand I need a break once a year to go back home and are pretty flexible with the way I use my holiday allowance.

I get basically the whole summer to do as I wish, they don't expect me to stick around. I think the person before me had some problems and they got fed up of those problems.