I am bored with the screensavers on my PC. Anyone got any interesting ones? And what settings do you have on them? I remember way back they said that if you didn't have one going fairly quickly, it damaged your screen. I wonder if that is still the case.

Try turning your screen off when you're not actually looking at it, and turn your PC off when you're going away for a bit. It saves energy, saves your screen, and it avoids the inherent sense of ennui of screensavers.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but.

Many rules of thumbs and handy hints exist but are in reality obsolete.

Screen savers - really old CRT screens could burn an image if it was left fixated for along time. phosphor dots on a CRT are struck by electron beams, they glow, if the same dots are struck by the electron beam repeatedly "ghosting" can be seen on the surface of the screen...

really old monochrome screens had this problem, modern CRT dont and LCD certainly doesnt. So screensavers are really for fun their practicality

is redundant.

BUT for Plasma TV "burn in" is very possible, be very careful with your plasma set ( you have one GG dont you?) Plasma sets use phospor and older sets are prone to burn in, new sets have pixel orbitors (fancy tech stuff) to prevent it.

DVD players now have screensavers that kick in after a few minutes if you pause a DVD and leave it, to save plasma sets.

It makes you wonder about TV channels like NatGeo with their yellow rectangle and CNN BBC with their logos perpetually in the corner....or you mum comes to visit and asks what is that image on the corner of your TV set??? is that a bunny? ;\)

Another myth to dispel - batteries and fully discharging/recharging and battery memories.

Ni-cad and Ni-MH yes its true

Lithium ion - NO. Lithium rechargeable have no memory so you dont have to fully discharge them and fully charge them to get a good battery life.

Yes I do. If you are watching a channel that has something up there all the time like BBC, CNN, football games etc, it does remain on the screen for a short while after you change channel. It soon disappears though. I've had mine a year and a half now and not had any problems. Still sugoi.

I made my own screensaver. It is a collection of good cheese photos, 7 of them in rotation. I can change the photos used as well. Sometimes it is just so hard to choose which 7 cheeses at any one time.