Didn't that xbox guy (the bald one with an earring) used to be a real middle-aged looking geek-type with dasai shirts and a retreating hair-line complete with silly fluffy part of hair remaining front middle?

The kids I talk to arent at all interested in the Xbox, and know nothing about its impending release.

Microsoft needs to get thekids into its system and they just dont understand that. Go after the kids and then the parents will flock to buy it.

Kiddies are not the biggest market for videogames anymore Fattwins. And the relatively small kiddie market is serviced by Nintendo - and just take a look at Gamecube numbers to see how they are doing (ie not too hot).

Late teens to mid-30's is where it's at and the main target.

Im not talking young kids but kids aged 10 to 13. They dont dream of owning an xbox infact most of the kids I know own PS2, and a nintendo system. Japanese gamers are alot younger than gamers in N. America, the kids here are brought up on the damn things. Xbox will flop here again.

"PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. Sony also confirmed the machine would be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals: four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2.18 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz.

128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, Internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "supercomputer for computer entertainment."

Damn! that is smoking!! dribble.gif

PS3 looks to kick Xbox360 for a full 360.

Microsoft drop $5Billion on their Xbox and still get trumped.

I will be buying aPS3 over a Xbox if I decide to get one.

But 10-13s are nowhere near the main market either (esp in the US and Europe). They simply aren't.

I also think MS will have a very tough time in Japan as well with the new one.... just not for the reasons you think. Some of the big Japanese developers on board this time may help, but lets face it they couldn't really do any worse than what they're doing now! lol.gif

im not really talking about the overseas market. Ive been away far too long to even think I know anything about what is going on there.

In japan I find that its family units that buy the consoles. Ive a kid wants a PS2 then papa is not going to buy an Xbox. the Japanese market is huge and to make money you gotta get in. You cant survive on N.A. or Europe alone.

If what snowglider says is bang on then Xbox doesnt have a leg to stand on. It will be like Dreamcast was release it early cause its an inferior product. The hope is that people will then get hooked.

Quote:
In japan I find that its family units that buy the consoles.
I'm sure you find that if you are a teacher working at a school.

But the facts differ.

Whilst the kiddie market is bigger here than it is overseas, it is not the overwhelmingly biggest one and it is not the one that will decide the overall success of a console. Simple as that.

Anyway, whatever.
I'm just enjoying the unveilings.

The problem with stats or demodraphics is that kids arent the ones forking over the money. We you read stats they are a bit slanted becasue of this. The gaming industry is growing up I will admit that for sure, but if Xbox wants to be a winner in the industry they need to go after the whole pie and not just a piece. this is what sets Sony apart from microsoft. Sony advertises their product to a broader market thus it will keep on winning.

Anyways the ps3 if it really packs that much of a punch could knock the XBOX outta the race. Im a bit shocked that Sony really stepped up to the plate on this one.

MS don't just offer a slice of the pie. But anyways, enough of that particular argument.

Quote:
Im a bit shocked that Sony really stepped up to the plate on this one.
And why is that, considering their almost complete dominance of the current generation? They have always shown complete dedication to the PS brand and all signs were/are that they do not indend for MS to overtake them.

Funny how so little is being said about Nintendo (the brand of kiddies choice.)

According to Entertainment Software Association (ESA) 75% of American heads of households play computer and video games, with the average age of a player being 30.

The average age just keeps on creeping up.

Yes you can get more games across consoles - some have exclusivity for 6 months and deals like that. But for things like Metroid thats a special one, similar to Mario... you're not gonna find Mario on anything other than a Nintendo machine (as long as they are making machines I suppose)...

No need to worry about that. Actually, even with the kids Mario seems to be losing (has lost?) his appeal. He's not the dead cert he used to be.