If I was a JR employee and I wasn't directly involved in the rescue operation, I would have no compunction whatsoever about going bowling in the evening, nor about staying out, yea, until the sanjikai. Indeed, I seriously doubt that many Japanese employees feel sufficiently responsible for the failings of their companies that they would deny themselves a planned evening out. Although they might well tut-tut about somebody from another company doing what they themselves would do...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're just unfeeling Oceys. ;\)

Well, I am pretty sure I would have compunction (I think I know what it means!) actually.

How about others?

They had the whole bowling, nijikai, sanjikai and yojikai on the am news this morning. Disected the crap out of what they ate and drank and which course they ordered and how much they paid. The crash was out of their own area apparently so what could those people have done anyway? The guys from Millionaire show was getting pretty damn angry about the whole episode.

The 2 guys who were on the train & escaped without injury without hanging around to help is a bit selfish I think.

They could have done nothing, it still seems like a poor idea to have a party then. And look at the predictable publicity they are getting now for not cancelling that. I feel with people round me they often go to enkais whether they actually want to or not, so it would have to be the organisers etc who would have cancelled this one. It was at lunchtime too, right?

Why should they cancel it? Whether people want to go to enkais or not is a different issue. When you work at a company, you are not given responsibility for everything the company does. Hell, generally if you point out a problem at a company you get fired for it, sooner or later. So why should everybody working at the company take responsibility for a SNAFU? And why would anybody who knows the deal at companies want to criticize?

So ask yourself - are we moral actors who can decide for ourselves what is acceptable behaviour, or are swayed simply by 'publicity'?

If that grey, greasy slimeball from Millionaire wants to play journalist and put the boot into JR West, he should look for something of substance to kick (of which there must be a lot I suspect). The two employees who walked off the train without helping is a far more serious issue. Especially as one of them later drove a train that day after having spent some 20 minutes unconscious...

OK, so I've just seen all the anger on lunchtime TV. It reminds of L'Etranger by Camus. The anti-hero goes to his mother's funeral and scandalizes everybody by failing to cry. Then he shoots an Arab on the beach because the sun gets in his eyes. At his trial the court is outraged that he didn't cry at his mother's funeral, and sentences him to death. Form over substance.

I really wonder how much interest these 'angry' people take in the effects of their daily actions on other unseen people...

Karnidge, you don't detect just a slight hint of Schadenfreude in all this "they started on beer then went on to shochu!"

The 2 men who walked away made a bad choice.

We must also think that having been in the accident that they were most likely in shock. Having been in a bad car accident before I just wanted out of that area and then passed out. Ill say that the tenchous at JR should have sat tyhem in the office for the day to deal with the PTSD, which they will no doubt face.

As for a party they shouldve known better that the news would twist this. Life goes on, and these JR employees had nothing to do with the accident and could do nothing to help. When is it acceptable to move on with your own unaffected life? Was I wrong for drinking a beer while watching the people being pulled from the damaged cars?

Press will look for storys and no doubt about it they paid someone to get that story.

Considering how much money the press are making off this story shouldnt we hold back part of their earnings and give it to the victims? I bet TV ad space is 25% more now on the news. 25% more newspapers and Magazines are being sold yet these same companies wont give a dime to help these people out. How about the first journalist on sight did he or she ever drop their cameras and think to bandage someone up. So now we take the word of people, paid to make news seem more bad, so that it sells more news, then we in turn get more angry, at the company that needs more time to understand what it has to do.

The people who you think might have "paid" for the story must be feeling fools. It's hardly as if it was exclusive....

I think it was a very unwise idea to go ahead with the party etc.

I think Fattwins has a good point. How long is it acceptable to wait before getting on with your normal life? One day, one week, one month? I agree that it was propably a unwise choice to go ahead with the party, simply because the general public are overly emotional and not thinking logically after a great tragedy like this. Looking hard for scapegoats.

I'm surprised they didn't stop that party, the organisers. Very ill advised move.

A quick ask around my Japanese colleagues here and pretty much all of them think not good.

Tell me, what did they eat and drink at the party? I think thats important to know before I declare if I am angry about it all or not. mad.gif

Well, I guess if enough people do straw polls of their workplace and don't trouble themselves to consider what is so wicked about continuing with plans, then that settles it. Very angry about the party. Yes, very displeased. Shocking.

In other news, it has been revealed that one JR office lady was seen enjoying a fruit yoghurt at 4:20 on the day of the disaster, while a male employee spent a self-indulgent 35 minutes on the toilet around the same time.

so the 250000 people that work for JR should not have lives? its a sad event which if most everyone was asked would say " we wish that this didnt happen". When stuff doesnt affect you and these workers had nothing to do with the accident shouldnt go on with their lives is nonsence.

As for paying for the story are we so blind that it wasnt done? How do you figure that the news got every detail? It worth alot of money to break a story cause other news companies have to use your source or trust your coverage. The news is about making money and this news is big money.

Its to the point of what can you do? When is it ok to due something? I would kayak if i was them. Why? because its life. When doe it get petty to blame everyone in the whole company even when they are great distances from the accident. I again ask the media to fess up at least 5% of the extra money they have made on this, they just keep spinning this story.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do - just what I think.

I just think that on that afternoon for those people to go get pissed at a party is just really not appropriate.

\:\)